Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
PageWide Color MFP 586
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Halp! I need a guide to resetting the admin-password in my HP PageWide Color MFP 586

I just bought the printer, which was a returned item, from a dealer, in fact it´s quite new. BUT: Some other customer got it before me for testing and they changed the admin password - so no one knows the password anymore 😞 All other threads and videos that can be found online describe the way to the "secret" service menus with different printers. So can anyone give me a solution to reset passwords for my MFP-model?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Hey there 🙂
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Try the easy stuff posted here first:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04801466

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I already tried everything that is possible without the admin-password. These solutions reset everything but the password - I need the password renewed.

Hey there 🙂
HP Recommended

Need to perform a partial clean from preboot. Check your private messages, I will send the steps.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm in the same situation.  I also purchased a MFP586 PageWide and need the 'administrator' password reset.   Can someone please advise how I go about getting it reset?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.