Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet cm1312 MFP
Linux

My printer no longer responded to print commands. The self-test page via the HP dashboard also got stuck in the queue. Therefore I decided to install the new version of HPLIP (3.19.12 instead of the previously installed version 3.19.11).
Printing does now work properly but the scan function does not.
So I manually try to install the HP plugin via terminal. Here is the installation log:

XYZ@ASUSPRO-S340MF-D340MF:~$ hp-plugin

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.12)
Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Checking for network connection...
Downloading plug-in from: None
Plugin is not accessible. Trying to download it from fallback location: [https://developers.hp.com/sites/default/files/hplip-3.19.12-plugin.run]
Receiving digital keys: /usr/bin/gpg --homedir /home/christoph/.hplip/.gnupg --no-permission-warning --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x4ABA2F66DBD5A95894910E0673D770CDA59047B9
Creating directory plugin_tmp
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.19.12 Plugin Self Extracting Archive..............................................................

Plugin Installer ver. 3.0

Plug-in version: 3.19.12
Installed HPLIP version: 3.19.12
Number of files to install: 64

Plugin installation failed
error: Python gobject/dbus may be not installed
error: Plug-in install failed.

Now I do not know what to do. Can anyone help me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Problem solved with the following approach (terminal):

• sudo python uninstall.py
  • sudo apt purge hplip*
  • sudo apt-get -f install
  • python -c 'import sys; print sys.path'
  • sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
  • sudo apt-get purge hplip hplip-data libhpmud0 libsane-hpaio printer-driver-hpcups hplip-gui
  • sudo rm -r /usr/share/hplip
  • sudo updatedb && locate hplip
  • sudo apt install --reinstall python3-notify2 libsane-dev sane-utils libpthread-stubs0-dev python3-pil python3-dbus.mainloop.qt libssl1.1 libusb-1.0-0-dev python3-dev libsnmp-dev python3-reportlab libcupsfilters-dev libcups2-dev libcupsimage2-dev python3-pyqt4 python3-cups libjpeg-dev libcupsimage2-dev python3-hpilo python3-dbus python3-dev
  • sudo apt-get update -y
  • sudo apt-get install -y python-gobject

• RESTART

• Downloads hplip Version 3.19.12 from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
  • sh hplip-3.19.12.run
  • Downloads HP-Plugin from https://developers.hp.com/sites/default/files/hplip-3.19.12-plugin.run
  • sh hplip-3.19.12-plugin.run

Now the printer as well as the scanner works perfectly again

HP Recommended

After installing hplip-3.19.12 on Linux Mint 19.3, I could only print on my HP LaserJet MFP m28-m31 printer. After following the above procedure, I can now also use the scanner in my HP LaserJet MFP m28-m31 printer. Good fix!

MicroDrie
HP Recommended

I had the same issue with my new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw. The provided instructions are clear and solved the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.