Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet M653
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to disable (i.e. remove, or blank) the device password that I set in the EWS. I no longer want a device password. I cannot find a way to remove the password. I found an earlier manual that says from EWS device password settings, to just type in the current password in the "old password" field and leave the new field blank. That does not work, it makes me choose a minimum length password. How can I disable the password instead of just change it or reset it? I want no device password again and I know my current one.

I do not want to do a factory reset or any type of reset that would disable or remove my network settings as my office is already set up correctly. I just want to go back to having no device password (like it was at initial setup) instead of having a password.

It would be easier if I can do this through EWS, but I can go through the touchpad console instead if necessary.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you have the password, you can set the password length to zero which will allow a blank password. If that does not work see below.

If you are concerned about settings, perform a backup first so you can restore if needed. Then you will need to enter the preboot menu and perform a partial clean. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever done either of those ideas? I'd like to know beforehand if the partial clean will indeed maintain all other settings except for password. I thought about that zero-length setting later, so will give that a try too next time.

HP Recommended

You say all other settings, what other settings?  If you access control, user pins or 3rd party apps installed those will be reset or deleted.

The partial clean is supposed to leave the network settings intact and most times it does. However, I never leave something like that to chance as it only takes a minute or two to backup the settings. Cheap insurance in time, should the partial clean result in unexpected settings loss.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Here's what I had to do.

On the Security page of the EWS, I had to set the password minimum length to 0, and I had to uncheck the enforce password complexity option (length 0 was not sufficient and then gave errors about complexity). After that, I could go to the device password page, enter the password in Old, and leave the new password blank and it took off the password.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.