Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi - I just picked up this Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer second hand. It is still in Warranty and seems to be in good condition. However, I cannot set it up as all of the system setting menus are locked via a password. I have tried to contact the seller but so far have not had a response and am assuming the password may be forgotten.

I also tried to look at the Network Status to find the IP and get into the EWS (Embedded Web Server) but the infomration on the screen does not look like an IP to me and when I tried to type tyhis into my browser as an https:// it wasn't accepted. 

Does anyone know how I can completely reset the printer so that I can start from scratch and override this password issue?

Thanks Network statusNetwork status

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @John_Getzke - thanks for the reply. I had tried that method but unfortunately it didn't work. 

Fortunately, since posting, the seller has got back in touch and has remembered their admin password and sent this to me and I have now unlocked the machine. 

So, I'm going to close the question... 

I guess I'm still interested in the solution but for now I'll let it go! 

Thanks all

Rich 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Cold Reset steps for the M277 should work for the M281:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0Ar1TyBHY

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

Factory Reset HP LaserJet M277dw Printer Steps: 1 - Power Down 2 - Power Up 3 - Wait until you see the energy logo 4 - Press and hold the lower right hand portion of the display 5 - You can release when you see "permanent storage init"
Factory Reset HP LaserJet M277dw Printer Steps: 1 - Power Down 2 - Power Up 3 - Wait until you see the energy logo 4 - Press and hold the lower right hand portion of the display 5 - You can release when you see "permanent storage init"
HP Recommended

Hi @John_Getzke - thanks for the reply. I had tried that method but unfortunately it didn't work. 

Fortunately, since posting, the seller has got back in touch and has remembered their admin password and sent this to me and I have now unlocked the machine. 

So, I'm going to close the question... 

I guess I'm still interested in the solution but for now I'll let it go! 

Thanks all

Rich 

HP Recommended

Worked perfectly on my M281fdw.  Thank you!!

HP Recommended

Good day,

How to reset a forgotten password on the printer Hp ColorLaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw,

so I can reset the fax  and it is asking me for a password.

Network Satus:

Satus: Ready

Wireless: Off

Network Cable: Connected

IPv4: 192.....

Host Name: NPI36955F

Hardware Address: 48:ba:4e:36:95:57

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.