Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet M1217nfw MFP
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I downloaded and tried to install the firmware update from May of 2018. The update failed and the display on the printer kept reading "Programming". I left it alone for about an hour and it never changed. So I (foolishly apparently) powered it down and now when I start it up again I get the message mentioned above.

Is there some  way to flash the firmware back to its original state?

If it makes any difference I have a Windows laptop (Win 7) that I can connect to the printer vis USB to do any changes or troubleshooting.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@howarddp

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I believe power resetting the printer and flashing the printer firmware using a USB cable should resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your toner cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) Connect the printer to Mac using a USB cable and then download and update the printer firmware from here

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried what you suggested to no avail. When I tried to run the downloaded file it said that there was an error.

I spoke to tech support at HP yesterday and they had me try 2-3 things none of which were successful. They are shipping me a HP LaserJet M227fdw MFP to replace this device which i turned into a not too effrcient boat anchor.

I cant comp;ain too much. After nearly 40 years working with various PCs, scanners, printers and other devices, this is the first one I have "bricked". 

Thank you for your input and your attempt to bail me out of this jam.

David

HP Recommended

@howarddp

I'm glad to hear you are getting a replacement printer

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.