Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Enterprise CP4025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently after Windows 10 updated to 1903, I lost all access to my HP LaserJet 4025dn over the network.  I have deleted the drivers and re set up the printer through the Windows Settings under "Printers & Scanners".  It installed some new HP printer app and I can no longer setup custom paper weights for my print jobs.  The new app is extremely confusing.  I find this really frustrating, and angering.  Everything was working exactly the way I wanted it to before, and now I can't find all my old paper settings.  I AM NOT HAPPY!!!  If I were running a business this would be a complete business stopper and a huge loss of money.

I used to be able to access the settings through the properties option in my program's print menu and select my custom paper.  Now I get a severely crippled menu with none of those selections anymore.  Do I need to install the old Windows XP drivers to get my functions back?

I'm also frustrated that the ink for this printer is now over $400.00 a cartridge!!! (there are 4 cartridges)  How on earth do you people justify ink costing more than the printer is worth???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had to figure out what you were talking about...

I did a search for "HP Universal Print Driver" on the support page and found it.  I deleted all the print drivers Windows kept putting in and ran the install.  I opened up the "manage" on the Universal print driver and entered the IP address.  It found it and set it up.  I went into the printer preferences and, although it doesn't have all the paper choices it used to, I managed to find one to use with my paper (HP Premium Choice Matte 120g = Domtar FirstChoice Everyday Photo paper 32LB 120g).  (I'll set up my card stock later).  The test print printed.

It is working now, thankyou very much.

Frustrating that a Windows update would break my drivers.

It would be nice if HP would make their toner cheaper.  When I purchased this printer it was the cheapest to run per page (cheaper than the Xerox at the time).  Now the toner is terribly expensive.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you connecting via network you should use the current Universal Printer Driver 6.8 and set it up on a standard TCP/IP port. Then disable the printer management feature of Windows 10. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Doesn't work.  It says "Error Printing to HP Color LaserJet CP4020DN"

Note: (I changed the name so I could find it easier)

It gives me the paper settings now, but won't print, just like it did after the update.

The driver looks like it keeps going to v6.18.2009

Since the last time, I can no longer find the exact printer model on HP's web site for drivers, like it was deleted since my post.

HP Recommended

Have you tried manually installing the driver. Do not let your PC auto install. You need to manually install creating a standard tcp/ip port and then using the current Version 6.8 Universal Print driver as the driver. If you auto install from windows it will install a V4 microsoft driver on a WSD port and this simply does not provide reliable printing.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I had to figure out what you were talking about...

I did a search for "HP Universal Print Driver" on the support page and found it.  I deleted all the print drivers Windows kept putting in and ran the install.  I opened up the "manage" on the Universal print driver and entered the IP address.  It found it and set it up.  I went into the printer preferences and, although it doesn't have all the paper choices it used to, I managed to find one to use with my paper (HP Premium Choice Matte 120g = Domtar FirstChoice Everyday Photo paper 32LB 120g).  (I'll set up my card stock later).  The test print printed.

It is working now, thankyou very much.

Frustrating that a Windows update would break my drivers.

It would be nice if HP would make their toner cheaper.  When I purchased this printer it was the cheapest to run per page (cheaper than the Xerox at the time).  Now the toner is terribly expensive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.