Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP M426 fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Apparently the last software update puts a max 8 hour power on/ready time limit on my printer. I now have to manually power down my printer then power up since I often go more than 8 hours between printing. I have a bad heart so going upstairs to power up is not easy for me and I would love to be able to turn off the power down software.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The idea behind the Energy Save settings is that the Printer should turn itself back on when you send a print.

What happens when you send a print while the machine has shut down?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

A box appears in the lower right corner of my screen which says something like" Printer error, can not print  as requested". Formally, the same messaage box would tell me that the printer was offline but I fixed that glitch with a software patch from HP. 

At some point after that patch a software update has chnged the energy saving parameters from being able to stay on always tto a maximum of 8 hours with 6,4 and hours as additional options. I am far from tec savvy and I am stumped. 

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I just realised I ddin't answer your question...The machine is still "On" but will not print. I have to power down, wait 30 secs. and poer up and then it automatically prints my item.

HP Recommended

My MFPM426fdw printer still will not accept a print job until I shut it down and restart the unit after several hours of sleeping. The unit was doing this only after the arbritary 8 hour ready max was hit but now it is constant. Yes, I hate HP but I want to love my printer, when it was new it worked great. Things fell apart after they updated the "workday length" to 8 hours max of standby. Now it does nothing but give me a printer error message in the lower right corner of my laptop screen.

HP Recommended

I am not sure on the 426, I don't have one in front of me, but check in the energy settings. the larger units give you a choice between sleep modes, the default of which is complete power off, but you can choose a deep sleep mode that will still allow the unit to wake up. You could try downgrading your firmware to a previous version.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't know how to do that. I'm willing to pay for help but the HP after warrenty desk gets such horrid reviews that I won't risk wasting my money.  This is only getting worse so I will probably just buy a different printer...IT WILL NOT BE AN HP!   Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.