01-13-2020 10:49 PM
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw - Inconsistent and Unreliable printing ! Messages like "Looking for Printer", "Can't find printer", "Waiting for printer to finish the job", "Printer is busy", or Nothing happens. Either after a OFF-ON of the Printer it prints once and then the same problem, ie. stops printing, Or Pause and Continue fixes it, Or switching the WIFI OFF and ON helps, but it is always very inconsistent. You cannot know what is going to work for it to print.
01-16-2020 12:07 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. This seems like a network/connectivity issue between the printer and the MAC. Let us try these steps:
Update the printer firmware
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Also, check for any software updates on MAC
Click here to know how.
Restart the network devices
- Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
- Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
- Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.
Check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC
- Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
- On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
- Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
- Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
- Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
01-17-2020 07:59 PM - edited 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
(1) There is no Printer Firmware update available for me to download/update. I searched everywhere but couldn't find it. There is no Firmware button to c lick anywhere. I think it doesn't exist. Or else how can you help me to find this mysterious Firmware ?
(2) My Printer indicates that there is no software update available at this time.
(3) My MAC is updated to the latest revision, Catalina 10.15.2.
01-18-2020 10:07 AM
@RAY281, thank you for the response.
To check for updates on the printer, go to Setup > Services > Check for updates.
If the printer is up to date, there will be no more updates available.
Did you try restarting the network devices and perform a PING test?
What was the result?
Keep me posted.
I am an HP Employee