Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477dfw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will back up and start again.

Wired network connection. 

New printer. Installed with the enclosed CD, Installed version  CF377-60128 V.4.0

Scan Menu icon but no printer device menu without going manually to fixed printer address (192.168.1.20)

No fax installed on computer but set up (and tested) on printer.

Ran HPPSdr.exe as directed. It unistalled the program for M477dfw.

Ran downloaded HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL-6v4Print_Driver_17062.exe.

No longer have scan icon, device (or program).

The HP M477 program did not re-install.

The printer is a listed device and will print.

Ran CF77-60128 V.4.0 (install cd in box) AGAIN.

No installed program, No Scan, No FAX.

Tomorrow, I will recover to a backup from the server from before all the fun started.

At least that might get me a scan back.

I can get the printer menu up only through the ip address. Both it and the printer show the fax is up.

Web connect is working and tested.

Sir, I believe you  have a real software problem and I'd like this thing to work.

It was a very heavy device to lug  upstairs (plus extra paper tray) not to mention the cost involved.

Any ideas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you follow the directions I suggested?  E.g., running Setup.exe from the disk SPECIFICALLY, and making sure to go to customize software and check the boxes?

I don't think there is a fax capability from the PC - the fax is only on the printer.  In other words, you cannot use the printer to send a fax from the PC, or receive a fax on the PC; the printer functions as a standalone fax machine, and you wouldn't expect to see any fax software on the PC.

For scanning, do you not have a program installed onto your PC called HP CLJM477 scan, or HP AiO Printer Remote?

IF NOT, go to the Microsoft app store from Windows 10, and download HP all in one printer remote.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I wonder if the problem might be that you are installing the driver, but not the rest of the software.

On the CD, locate the program setup.exe, and run that.

This should start up the installer, and the first page you get should have an option to "customize software".  Choose that, and make sure that the boxes for HP Scan and HP Device Experience are checked, and IRIS OCR if you want that as well.

Continue the installation process.

(Note that if you have a partial install, running setup.exe will actually UNinstall everything, and ask you to reboot, and then you'll run setup.exe again.

Once the setup program has finished, look in your Apps (reached through the Start button).  Do you have HP AiO remote?  If so, does it work (scanning, etc.)?

HP Recommended

Re-installed from Disc. Previous install was removes as you said.

M477Install01.JPG

Install completed. NO Fax, NO Scan apps. There a device manager entry.

M477Install02.JPG

There is not a usable scan nor fax device.

M477Install03.JPG

Ther are programs on the install disk that are not being installed.

M477Install04.JPG

How do I force these features to install? Desperately need both FAX and SCAN.

HP has a Universal Fax app that recognizes the 477 as fax able.

You can also reach the scanner by addressing the FAX IP.

A useful menu comes up with printer information and the scan menu.

Everything works, It's just hidden!!!

HP Recommended

Did you follow the directions I suggested?  E.g., running Setup.exe from the disk SPECIFICALLY, and making sure to go to customize software and check the boxes?

I don't think there is a fax capability from the PC - the fax is only on the printer.  In other words, you cannot use the printer to send a fax from the PC, or receive a fax on the PC; the printer functions as a standalone fax machine, and you wouldn't expect to see any fax software on the PC.

For scanning, do you not have a program installed onto your PC called HP CLJM477 scan, or HP AiO Printer Remote?

IF NOT, go to the Microsoft app store from Windows 10, and download HP all in one printer remote.

HP Recommended

I tried chat help (for two hours). They were no help.

I have not re-tried the computer upstairs next to the printer.
did run the disk on a computer down stairs and it installed HP CLJM477 (with icon).

I Googled HP Fax driver and up popped HP's Universal Fax Driver! HPUFDDriver.

Unzipped it and installed.

From a word processor (Libre), I could choose HP Universal Fax Driver.

Up popped a query as to where the printer was.

Found the HP CLJM477dfw and asked me to verify.

Once done, the familiar FAX interface appears, just like the HP Officejet used to do.

Entered a phone number and "processing" appeared.

I thougt that would be another dead end.

Finally indicated "printed".

Went to my eFax account and there it was.

How do I mark this thread as SOLVED?

I appreciate your help!

Moral of the story is HP downloads can not be trusted!

HP Recommended

I don't think my post actually helped you, but I'm glad you got your problem solved! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.