Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet 1320
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laser Jet 1320 worked fine with 64-bit Windows 10 but after the most recent update the week of 1/11/2016 the printer no longer works.  The printer is connected to parallel port LPT1.  HP tool can't even find the printer.  Windows 10 tool does see the printer and believe it is working properly.  I re-downloaded the latest Windows 10 update and I download the latest drivers from HP website.  I still get a printer error message from Windows 10 when I try to print.  I see the print job in error status in the printer queue and delete the print job but I'm still unable to print successfully.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I have been answering this question for the last 2 weeks.  Here is what you need to do.  Go to device manager and then click on ports.  Double click on the lpt port to which the printer is connected and then click on port settings.  There will be a check mark on the middle item do not use an interrupt.  Click on the bottom item to use any interrupt assigned to the port. Close everything up and the printer should now work.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the rapid response.  My problem was slightly different but you solved it anyway!  When I went to the Port Settings tab the check mark was already on the bottom item "Use any interrupt to assigned to the port", but I noticed that the "Enable legacy plug & play detection" was unchecked.  I checked the "Enable legacy plug & play detection" and a Windows printer test page immediately printed.  I still needed to go back and "add a printer" for my Laser Jet 1320.  Thanks for pointing out the need to use the Port device settings to fix the problem.  I can't believe this information isn't posted on HP Support web site or Microsoft support.  I probaby spent 2-1/2 hours today and an hour yesterday trying to solve this problem.  YOU MADE MY DAY!

HP Recommended

I was able to correct the problem with my Laserjet 1320 last week following your directions and discovering that I needed to check the box on the port settings tab for "enable legacy plug and play".  Today I am unable to print again.  When I checked the port settings tab everything looks OK - use any interrupt assigned to the port is checked and enable legacy plug and play is checked.  I'm guessing that Windows 10 performed and update.  Any ideas of how to correct this problem now?  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Only thing I can suggest is to remove the printer and try loading again.  Another thing you can try before that is to restore your computer to a earlier date using system restore.  Before doing this set a restore point so you can put it back to current if this does not work.

HP Recommended

Laser Jet 1320 no longer working with 64-bit Windows 10

HP Recommended

Hello, @dr_7orra 

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Let’s first try to fix this issue using HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR). PSDR is an automated tool which can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2bZ9w2q to download and run HP PSDR. Once you open the program, select your printer and click on “Fix Printing” to automatically diagnose and fix the issue.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Pavilion desk top PC and have tried to connect my HP1320n Laserjet printer but although it says that it is installed it is not communicating. I can't find the port settings referred to in some of the replies  and the HP scan and printer repai software only tells me it can't communicate with the printer.

HP Recommended

You have the network version of this printer so if you have a switch or router you plug the printer into with an RG45 ethernet cable, I would connect this way and then use the ip address of the printer to load as a local tcp/ip printer.

HP Recommended

I don't have a network; the printer works fine plugged into the USB port of my oldcomputer running Windows 7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.