Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

There is no fix.

Things that help make the problem less painful were, setting a static IP,  and setting sleep/power-off timeouts to max values.  I believe one can be set to "never" and another can be set to "4 hours".

Possible workarounds, but not true fixes that you might try:

One thing you might try, is connecting to the printer to a wireless network with no encrytion or authentication.

That may resolve the issue, but probably isn't feasible, or really very recommended, as it leaves your network unsecured.

Another thing you might try, is using an older wireless router/access point that only support B/G, and not B/G/N.

HP Recommended

Or, you could implement the 'final solution' like the blokes did to the HP LaserJet II in Office Space.

:OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

I think I'm going to buy an NAS adapter and just hook the dang-blasted thig up via its USB connection to the NAS and then to my hub.  Seems like the least painful option at this point.

HP Recommended

So, my NAS adaper has arrived and it was truly plug-and-play.

1. Power up printer (because it always shuts itself off, which is why we're here)
  2. Plug printer into NAS via USB cable
  3. Plug NAS into hub/switch/router
  4. Plug power adapter into NAS
  5. Open Devices and Printers
  6. Add Printer
  7. Select your HP LJ 1102w
  8. Watch the status messages say you've successfully installed the printer
  9. Print a test page to convice you (and the Mrs.) that you didn't waste $40 and that you can print now
  10. Pray that it stays connected after its next spontaneous power-down

I'll follow up after the power-down and report if the printer powers back on when it gets a print job from the network.

HP Recommended

I'll suggest a workaround that I came across that I found  it quite satisfactory. Having done everything you know you have (Static IP, DNS, etc etc) Every time the printer shutdows or sleeps do:

0) Turn it on,immediately after

1)Hold down the wireless  button (wireless.gif) to turn it off
2)Hold down the wireless button again to turn it on
3)Make sure it doesn't repeatedly blinks on and off, but it instead gleams constantly
4)Try printing wirelessly now

I guess turning on and off the wireless button sort of updates the current ip to match the one you manually set at the web service configuration printer interface. it is not perfect but it only takes you around 20 seconds to perform such task

HP Recommended

It does appear to be authentication related.  I had the same issue - printer works fine wirelessly until it goes to sleep.

Auto-off Never

Sleep After 5 Minutes

It won't print from Windows 8.1 via WIFI until you turn the printer off then back on.

Firmware Datecode is 20130213.

I followed the advice from user DEN_Kidd in this thread

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/LaserJet-Professional-P1102w-Sleep-and-...

Basically I went into my router which was configured for WPA2 only - I changed it to WPA+WPA2.

The printer was still in sleep mode, I didn't touch the printer.

I printed from the Windows 8 Laptop via WIFI, the printer woke up and began printing.

Oddly before this change I was still  able to access the printer's setup page from the browser on that same laptop, just no printing after it went to sleep.

I will let it go to sleep and try a few more times over the course of the week and post my results.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix.  I tend to shy away from firmware updates on any device as they tend to cause more problems.

***Update Oct-22-2014

So far everything works.  I've even powered off and back on the printer, router and computer.  I let the printer go to sleep then print via WIFI from my laptop.  Within 5 seconds the printer will wake up and print.  Even if I don't print anything for several days when I print from the laptop via WIFI the printer will wake up and start printing.

So your routers need to be set for WPA+WPA2, just like the printer. WPA2 only won't work.

The peculiar thing is even before I made that change I was still able to access the printer's internal setup web page via WIFI while it was in sleep mode, it just wouldn't wake up to print.

Now you know why I am a burned-out tech.

HP Recommended

I am on Windows 7, using an HP Laptop with and HP D110 Photosmart Printer and a Netgear 7550 router. I lost printer connectivity following a power outage. I was able to successfully restore connectivity with the following simple steps in this order:

1. Turn off the router and then turn off the printer.

2. Wait 2-3 minutes.

3. Turn on the router and wait for it to completely re-boot

4. Turn on the printer and wait for it to completely re-boot.

Printer connectivity was re-established and everything works fine.

Dale1927

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.