Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 4
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have had my LaserJet 4 since the mid 90's. Never had a lot of use, perhaps 30 sheets a year, letters with christmas and birthday cards, things like that. A few years ago, it stopped taking paper from the internal hopper, and now, until recently, has printed on single sheets fed in from the hatch on the front of the machine. It seems to have deteriorated a little more now. When powered on, the leds "Online" and "Form Feed" flash briefly, but then, nothing, no mechanical sounds at all, completly silent. I  am guessing it has finally come to the end of its life. Is this a reasonable assumption, or is there a fix I can apply somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bad Power Supply needed to be replaced.

Power Supply is the one which the power line plugged into.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Bad Power Supply needed to be replaced.

Power Supply is the one which the power line plugged into.

HP Recommended

If the power supply is shot, what is powering the leds which flash, albeit briefly?

HP Recommended

Don't doubt it is just the way it acts.

If you let it idle for hours or days then you power on yes it flash briefly but if you continue to power on / off from now on you'll get nothing.

I have changed many of them for the past few years.

It is the power supply with no doubt.

HP Recommended

Okay. I think I will treat it as a deceased printer now. I might be able to get the parts to fix it, but that will doubtless involve costs, delays etc. I have been looking around for a sensible colour option. The M254 has good reviews, but I have not found a supplier yet. I want a M254n, if there are other letters there in addition, that will be okay, but the n means it has a network interface so I can connect it to my router and print from any of my machines. Everybody seems to have the dw version, but the n seems elusive so far.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.