Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet MFP M225dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to install an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M225dw to a local network.  The cable modem router is an Arris Touchstone Data

Gateway D3.0.  I used the HP installer to set up the printer to the network.  However when I tried to print the test page

the printer control panel shows "printing document" but nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling the software and resetting the printer, changing the Cat 5 cord, and installing from another computer but have never gotten beyond being stuck at the "printing document" screen.  I also exchanged the printer at Office Dept, so this is the second printer that I have had this problem with. 

I have been using the printer on a direct USB connection so I know it works.

Is this an incompatibility with the Arris modem/router or is this a common problem and what can I do to get this working

properly? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is the possibility the printer picked up the wrong network settings somehow. Can you ping the printers IP or will the printers webinterface open up if you type the IP in a web browser?

From the printer control panel touch service/reports/ and print both the configuration report and network summary.

we want to pay close attention the the IP address, the subnet, and the gateway

they should look something like this

192.168.1.XXX (sounds like your familiar with the IP you want to assign)

255.255.255.0 (verify its didnt grab something like 255.255.0.0)

192.168.1.1 (gateway can cause problems)

verify the subnet and gateway to the settings used from a client PC your trying to print from using the ipconfig /all

You may also need to disable DHCPv6 and IPv6 and set the link duplex speed from "auto" to TX100

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

my first suggestion would be to check the port in the printer properties of the driver. It may be trying to set up a WSD port rather than a TCP/IP port. Windows can do this automatically now.

In your devices and printers folder, right click on the printer, choose printer properties, check the port tab and see what the driver is using.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Toner

Thanks for the prompt reply. The printer is using a TCP/IP port. The protocol is RAW on port # 9100.  "Spool print documents" is enabled.

In the port tab I found 8 instances of the HP TCP/IP, which gives you an idea of how many times I've tried to get the printer to work in the network.  Only the 8th instance was checked and I deleted the other 7.

I restarted the computer and the printer and tried to print a test page but got the same problem.  The Printer control panel shows a printing document screen but nothing happens. 

HP Recommended

There is the possibility the printer picked up the wrong network settings somehow. Can you ping the printers IP or will the printers webinterface open up if you type the IP in a web browser?

From the printer control panel touch service/reports/ and print both the configuration report and network summary.

we want to pay close attention the the IP address, the subnet, and the gateway

they should look something like this

192.168.1.XXX (sounds like your familiar with the IP you want to assign)

255.255.255.0 (verify its didnt grab something like 255.255.0.0)

192.168.1.1 (gateway can cause problems)

verify the subnet and gateway to the settings used from a client PC your trying to print from using the ipconfig /all

You may also need to disable DHCPv6 and IPv6 and set the link duplex speed from "auto" to TX100

HP Recommended

also you may want to try just install using the UPD driver and not the full installer

M225 drivers expand the driver-universal print driver tab

HP Recommended

Change your printer network settings as needed manually here

Manually configure IPv4 TCP/IP parameters from the control panel

Use the control-panel menus to manually set an IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

1. On the product control panel, press or touch the Setup button.

2. Scroll to and open the Network Setup menu.

3. Open the IPv4 Config menu, and then select Manual.

4. Use the keypad to enter the IP address, and press or touch the OK button.

5. Use the keypad to enter the subnet mask, and press or touch the OK button.

6. Use the keypad to enter the default gateway, and press or touch the OK button.

HP Recommended

Toner

"You may also need to disable DHCPv6 and IPv6"

Thanks for the help!  Disabling the DHCPv6 and IPv6 from the user interface appears to have done the trick.  I've been able to print from Outlook, notepad and a test page.  Again thanks!

Now on to the scanner:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.