Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 600 MFP

So I have a Laserjet 600 Printer that keeps saying its trying to lift tray 2 I am assuming the motor is busted am here just for some insight to see if there is anything else i can do. I have switched out the trays just to make sure its not that but still the message occurs.

Has anyone else had this issue? can you just replace the motor? or does it go deeper then that like a control board that is no longer sending the data to activate it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The number on the left is the page count when the error occurred, the number on the right is the error code.

In this case your current page count is probably higher than the numbers on the left meaning that those are old codes and have nothing to do with the current problem.

I just simulated the problem on M602, I removed the tray, determined which finger was put out for letter size paper which is the middle finger.

Then I reached in and pushed the center switch down so the printer tried to lift the tray and after about 10 seconds it got a 60.02 error. I repeated the process twice, interestingly the first time I wasn't seeing the error right away I had to push the home button to get to it.

I'm working under the assumption that your machine doesn't have any extra trays under tray 2.

At this point I'd be replacing the DC controller but I have a spare for troubleshooting so that would make it easier for me than for you.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended
It should time out and post an error if the tray doesn't lift in a certain amount of time. Are you getting an eventual error code? And if you are what is the code?

Also the LaserJet 600 series or more specifically the M600 series are not multifunction machines, what model printer do you actually have?

You can replace the tray lift motor on the M600 series, but if its just a motor it should be getting an error code. If you're not getting any error code then I would be concerned that it's something more serious than just the motor.

Can you print from tray 1 if you leave tray 2 out of the machine?

And I will repeat myself and request that you list the specific model number because if you have an MFP it should not be just a 600.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it. To thank a technician for a post click the thumbs up button under the post. You can even click both buttons. <g>

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

Agree with Stephen above.  Usually you will get a 60.2 error if the tray does not lift.  You may want to check the backstop of the paper tray to make sure it is not to far forward since if it is, it can impede the movement of the paper going up.  Also try with just a few sheets of paper.  You can also with the tray out of the printer look on the right side of the tray and you will see the half moon gear that is used to lift the paper.  You can move it by hand to make sure the tray is lifting when you move the gear.

HP Recommended

But we still don't know what model we really have, the M600 series are single function, and the title says this is an MFP, which would be an M680, and the tray lift would be different depending on which one it really is.

HP Recommended

Terribly sorry it its a laserjet 600 M602 not an mfp.

No there is no error code just displays lifting tray 2 and doesnt time out.

I have tried to have it print from tray 1 the manual feed but it will not

HP Recommended

"Agree with Stephen above.  Usually you will get a 60.2 error if the tray does not lift.  You may want to check the backstop of the paper tray to make sure it is not to far forward since if it is, it can impede the movement of the paper going up.  Also try with just a few sheets of paper.  You can also with the tray out of the printer look on the right side of the tray and you will see the half moon gear that is used to lift the paper.  You can move it by hand to make sure the tray is lifting when you move the gear."

I have checked the tray even switched it out for a different one on a working printer just to check that out. the gear moves freely the backstop is set properly. I have not seen or found any paper jams that might prevent the lifting. it just keeps saying lifting tray 2 with no error code

HP Recommended
When I'm going to suggest this might actually be at DC controller problem, but I don't think we have enough information yet to say definitely.

What I would do next is remove tray 2 power cycle the machine and see if it gets to a ready status.

If it gets to a ready status then try to print a test page from tray 1 and let us know what happens. Leave tray 2 out while doing this test.

If the machine will not feed from tray 1 with tray two removed then the problem is definitely more than just a lift motor.

HP Recommended
Had a sudden thought, does this machine have an envelope feeder installed?

If it does power off the machine remove the envelope feeder power back on and let us know what happens.

HP Recommended

"Had a sudden thought, does this machine have an envelope feeder installed?

If it does power off the machine remove the envelope feeder power back on and let us know what happens. "

you can set the tray one for feeding envelopes but no additional piece for envelope feeding

HP Recommended

"When I'm going to suggest this might actually be at DC controller problem, but I don't think we have enough information yet to say definitely.

What I would do next is remove tray 2 power cycle the machine and see if it gets to a ready status.

If it gets to a ready status then try to print a test page from tray 1 and let us know what happens. Leave tray 2 out while doing this test.

If the machine will not feed from tray 1 with tray two removed then the problem is definitely more than just a lift motor."

did this same result but its now tray 2 is open message but will not print still from tray 1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.