Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I was helping somebody else with the same type of issue, tray not lifting, and after several days of back and forth they mentioned the machine had a fan error.

So that is why I'm explicitly asking, is there any error message on the display?

If not on the display check the event log in the embedded web server.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Also, please answer my question from a few posts back.

Does the machine have an envelope feeder installed?

Why do I ask?

Back in Feb. 2014 I had calls on two Brand New M600 Series, (M603DN), Printers that had envelope feeders and extra trays, unfortunately the exact symptom was not documented and I can't remember the error message.  What I do recall is that the Envelope Feeder on one of the machines was causing Tray 3 to have a problem.

I also recall that when tray 3 was removed from the printer the problem moved to tray 2.

I replaced the DC Controller and the machine worked, but while replacing the part the Envelope Feeder had been removed and the testing was done before it had been plugged back in.  As soon as the Envelope Feeder was reinstalled the machine started failing again.

Fortunately since they had multiple machines with extra trays and Envelope Feeders I was able to cross check parts and verify that the tray problem followed the Envelope Feeder from machine to machine.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

"Does the machine have an envelope feeder installed?"

No there is no envelope feeder

HP Recommended

I went though the display on the printer and found some codes i guess?

7961  10.99.40

7913  10.00.60

0          98.03.12

0          10.99.40

I dont know if this means anything

HP Recommended
The number on the left is the page count when the error occurred, the number on the right is the error code.

In this case your current page count is probably higher than the numbers on the left meaning that those are old codes and have nothing to do with the current problem.

I just simulated the problem on M602, I removed the tray, determined which finger was put out for letter size paper which is the middle finger.

Then I reached in and pushed the center switch down so the printer tried to lift the tray and after about 10 seconds it got a 60.02 error. I repeated the process twice, interestingly the first time I wasn't seeing the error right away I had to push the home button to get to it.

I'm working under the assumption that your machine doesn't have any extra trays under tray 2.

At this point I'd be replacing the DC controller but I have a spare for troubleshooting so that would make it easier for me than for you.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help ill look to order one.

HP Recommended

(Posting for a Friend) If you arent getting error codes - One thing to mention, that will prevent the tray from lifting is the Orange tabs in the side that keep the register from getting damaged. Also, take off the front piece of plastic and basically anything orange that maybe should have been labeled to remove. Ya, totally not me that made that mistake, totally my friend.

HP Recommended
With HP equipment orange is a standard color for parts that need to be removed.

The installation instructions that come with the equipment will specify which pieces to remove.

HP Recommended
The problem was simpler for me. It was a wrong cartridge. The screen also showed the out of toner symbol along with the tray 2 lifting message. Changed the cartridge and problem was fixed.
HP Recommended

In addition to the wrong cartridge, see if the cartridge is broken. Turns out i had the right one, but it was broken on the side.  It appears to get to the last message and stops. When i swapped the broken cartridge into a machine that was all setup, it would get to the 'printing...' message and stop.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.