Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What is the truth and real deal about this error message?  There are comments about it all over the place with no real explanations or solutions.  My printer currently shows this and no longer prints.  If the choice is to pay 80 bucks for a new cartridge that may or may not work or buy a brand new Canon Inkjet for that amount, I'm buying the Canon.  Is this really a setpoint that HP puts in the cartridge that it is time to buy a new cartridge, regardless of the amount of ink in it?  I will never buy another HP product if so.  Or is there a real problem, and more importantly, a REAL SOLUTION to fixing this problem?  No, it is not a fake cartridge, I have been using it about a year and has shown no sign of fading on any documents I have printed.    This has been a great printer, has had nothing but genuine HP cartridges and has shown no sign of needing to be replaced.  It would be sad to have to toss it because of some scam that it is set up to automatically fail when THEY think I should replace the ink.  Incidentally, there is no "pro" on the label of this printer.  Not sure if that makes a different, but they refer to it as such on the downloads page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Whatever4825, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you see this message on the printer, it indicates that the ink toner being used has already been used and not a new one.

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Clean the electric contacts on the toner cartridge

Refer to step 4 mentioned in this document. Now, check if the error persists.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Whatever4825, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you see this message on the printer, it indicates that the ink toner being used has already been used and not a new one.

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Clean the electric contacts on the toner cartridge

Refer to step 4 mentioned in this document. Now, check if the error persists.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of that stuff worked or works, and you know it.  Most all "help" HP puts out is a generic list of stuff of which they hope one will work.  I like how step 1 and 6 on that "list" is the same thing...buy a new cartridge!  Well, I wasn't ready to downgrade to an inkjet printer just yet, so I bit the bullet and did just that, thinking if it didn't work, I could probably at least sell it and get some of my money back.  And lord behold, it worked!  Printer working like new.  Just like I hoped, but not necessarily expected, since many people have commented on other messages that they were getting this problem from brand new cartridges.  I lucked out this time....soooo, since this recommendation to get a new cartridge worked, hopefully until it actually runs out of ink this time, I give all credit to YOU!  Thanks so much, many hugs, a gold star, and a solution accepted for you!  Guess I'll keep the box this time so I can get the info needed to report that I indeed have a genuine cartridge if the problem happens again with this cartridge.  Thanks so much for the assistance.

HP Recommended

@Whatever4825

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.