Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I wanted to document my findings on this subject as they appear to be scarce on the internet right now.

To perform a NVRAM/Cold Reset on the M276:

1. Power down the printer

2. Press and hold the lower left hand corner of the screen

a. This is normally where the progress bar starts loading on the screen

3. Power on the printer

4. Release the left hand corner once the "Permanent Storage Init" message appears.

We have also noticed that there may be an alternative technique depending on when the M276 was manufactured. 

Alternative NVRAM/Cold Reset:

1. Power down the printer

2. Press and hold the right arrow button on the navigational bar

a. This button will flash for a moment when the printer boots up

3. Power on the printer

4. Release the left hand corner once the "Permanent Storage Init" message appears.

Hope this helps.  The HP Rep I spoke to tried to inform me that the normal Restore Defaults feature from the control panel is all that is available and does the same actions.  My experience tells me otherwise.  You do not get the option to choose your Language or Location when you perform the Restore Defaults, nor do the networking configurations always get cleared.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This reset also applies to the Pro 300/400 series.

As you say press the bottom right quadrant, I've not had any feedback if this has the alternative method but from your instructions this should cover Pro 200/300 and 400.

HP Recommended

Tried both of these methods and neither one worked.  No matter what I want to do from the pad it asks for a password  first.  Other than making copies the printer is useless to me.

HP Recommended

@Ellie3663, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your Laserjet Pro 200 M276 printer is asking for the password every time you want to print.

I also see that you tried the NVRAM reset and also Cold Reset but the issue still persists.

You may try the steps listed below:

1. Open a web browser and type the printer IP address in the address field exactly as it appears on the Configuration Page,  and then press Enter.

2. Click the Security tab, and under General Security, set the local administrator password.

1. Keep the username default as admin.

2. Type the New Password and Verify Password.

3. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Apply.

Use these credentials the next time you Log In to the EWS.

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

put IP address in....page that came up does not have security tab.....said authentication is required so thinking signing in is where I  might be able to get to security  tab...says that my IP address requires username and password....I am at such a loss...I am assuming it wants the username and password for the IP address but when I put that in it doesn't work

HP Recommended

@Ellie3663, thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

Please follow the steps to restore the printer to its factory defaults: 

1. From the Home screen, touch the Setup button.

2. Scroll to and touch the Service menu.

3. Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button. The product automatically restarts.

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

When I get to service menu it requests a password to go any futher

HP Recommended

@Ellie3663, thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue did not resolve after following the steps in the previous interaction.

As we have tried all the possible solutions for this issue, please contact phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I have tried your suggestion of a "cold restart" with both suggetions...neither will perform the reset.  What other suggetions can we try?

-MeD8Tor

HP Recommended
Buddy you are too cool for school!!!
Jam up and jelly tight.it worked perfect once I hit screen lower left and not the back button just off screen in lower left.THANKS!!!PEACE!!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.