Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet m15w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting really frustrated with my Laserjet M15w. I had to switch networks a couple of weeks ago. Since then, it has been impossible to connect the (previously installed) printer to the same network as my computer. 

I have tried re-installing the printer, I have used the HP SmartApp, I have downloaded the ScanDoctor tool. Nothing helps. Documents are not printed and the only tip I get is "make sure your printer is connected to the same network". Well duh. I hope somebody can help my fix this issue. I'm two seconds away from tossing the printer out the window. I've spent hours on trying to fix this issue already.

I don't have a USB cable to connect the printer and computer manually (and can't get one due to lockdown restrictions). It's wifi direct. How can I make sure my printer is on the same network as my computer? 

I appreciate any help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you want to use wi-fi then you will need to set your router to 2,4GHz wireless.

USB cable setup can't be done if your router is 5G only.

Log on to your router set it to broadcast on 2,4G ( you need to have 2 visible wireless, for example, homewifi and homewifi5G ) and use the WPS button to try to connect printer and router if it connects then you know that problem is in 2,4G vs 5G

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try to reset the printer to factory defaults. Press and hold cancel button and then turn the printer ON, keep cancel button pressed for next 20 seconds that should factory reset your printer.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have done that (not for the first time) and all lights are flashing so it should be in setup mode and restored to default settings. 

Since I have a  network, I tried pushing the WPS button to connect the printer to the new wifi. It's not working. HPSmart App still shows the printer as offline. How can it be so hard to switch to a new network (new SSID-name)? 

Any other tricks I can use? 

HP Recommended

Is your new wireless maybe 5GHz, and your old 2,4GHz? The printer works on 2,4GHz only.

A setup with a USB cable would be a quick solution for you.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Huh! I checked and yes, it's 5G... so I guess I will order a USB connection cable and then I will be able to set it up properly. Thanks!!! I feel that I am a step closer to having a working printer after months of not being able to use it.

One last question: after I do the USB-cable-setup, will I be able to print via wifi or do I have to always connect via cable from then on?

HP Recommended

If you want to use wi-fi then you will need to set your router to 2,4GHz wireless.

USB cable setup can't be done if your router is 5G only.

Log on to your router set it to broadcast on 2,4G ( you need to have 2 visible wireless, for example, homewifi and homewifi5G ) and use the WPS button to try to connect printer and router if it connects then you know that problem is in 2,4G vs 5G

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the really good advice. It still was a hassle to do but at least I can use my printer again. YAY! Never changing networks again. 

For everyone interested with the same problem who are not as knowledgable (like me): I had to use a USB printer cable in the end to install the printer again and then followed the steps in the HP installation wizard when it asked me to connect wirelessly to the computer (downloaded the assistant from 123.hp.com).

You also need to remove the usb-connected printer (so you don't use the wrong one)) from "devices and printers" so there is no confusion and only the wifi printer is available.

The HP Smart App then finishes the installation and then it should work. At least, it does now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.