Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laser jet pro M254dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer doesn't see or connect to the printer thru the usb cable. I can print by wifi direct, but my only internet is the hotspot on my phone, so to print by wifi direct I have to disconnect from my internet, then reconnect to the printer. This takes about 2 minutes, and I can't print emails without saving them somewhere first.. How do I get this to print by usb. I have tried 2 dufferent usb cables with no luck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mcautoak

I'm afraid you may have to download the drivers again.

Secondly, you could try downloading the basic printer drivers. Because the file size for the basic drivers is 59.6 MB. You may download it from this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LJ/M253-M254/LJM253-M254_UWWL_Basicx64_44.2.2619.e...

Downloading the basic drivers will not take as much time as the full featured drivers.

Another options to install the drivers without installing them is by installing the inbuilt printer drivers from the Windows operating system. Please refer to "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mcautoak

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw and the computer and the computer does not recognize the printer via USB. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this: 

• Do other USB devices work fine when connected to the computer? If not then the USB ports on the computer need to be fixed first. This HP document helps in facing USB related issues in Win10: https://hp.care/2jy6hXt
  • Have you tried connecting the printer to different USB ports on the computer?
  • Do you have another USB cable to check with or another computer where the printer could be connected?
  • Is there any error message when the printer is connected or when you attempt to print?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

NOTE: Do not plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

Connect the printer via USB and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor:

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

If the HP Print and Scan Doctor cannot find the printer then please follow the below steps:

Try these tips and procedures to help troubleshoot and avoid USB connectivity issues.

• Restart the printer and the computer: Restarting the computer and the printer can clear possible error conditions.

• Reconnect the cable: Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer.

• Connect to a different USB port: Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer.

• Disconnect from a USB hub or docking station: If you are using a USB hub or docking station, try connecting the cable directly to the computer.

• Try a different USB cable: Use a different USB cable. HP supports USB cables less than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length.

• Disconnect other USB devices: If you have several USB-connected devices, such as another printer, the computer might not have sufficient power supplied to the USB ports to detect all of them. Disconnect any other USB devices that are not in use.

If the printer is detected through the HP Print and Scan Doctor and still does not print then let us uninstall the drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may click here to download and install the drivers.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have done everything you suggested, including using 3 different usb cables and verifying all my usb ports will work with other devices. Trouble shooter said the program wasn't fully installed. I downloaded the program and reintalled it. Took 1 1/2 hours to download with my slow internet.  Went thru the complete install again, and printer still won't work by USB. Ran the troubleshooter again, and still said program wasn't fully installed, and I needed to uninstall and reinstall it. When I uninstalled the program, it completely erased it from my computer, so I have to download it again. My computer is telling me 4hours & 37 minutes to download. I don't have an instal disc. I called HP support, and was told they have no way to send me an install disc. How can I get the install program without having to download it?

HP Recommended

@mcautoak

Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

You do not have to download the drivers again. The same drivers that got downloaded the last time can e run again. You may check in the downloads section of your web browser from where you initially downloaded the drivers.

NOTE: Do not plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

Hope this helps. Let me know. 🙂

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I have been all thru my computer, and the only thing for hp is a 1.27 mb  "hp smart" folder. The install program was 141mb, and it is gone.

HP Recommended

@mcautoak

I'm afraid you may have to download the drivers again.

Secondly, you could try downloading the basic printer drivers. Because the file size for the basic drivers is 59.6 MB. You may download it from this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LJ/M253-M254/LJM253-M254_UWWL_Basicx64_44.2.2619.e...

Downloading the basic drivers will not take as much time as the full featured drivers.

Another options to install the drivers without installing them is by installing the inbuilt printer drivers from the Windows operating system. Please refer to "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Well I drove to a place where I could get better internet and downloaded the install software again. This time it worked.  I can print by cable or wifi direct now. Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

@mcautoak

Great news! 🙂

I'm glad that the issue is fixed and hope it remains that way. 

You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that.

Happy printing! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.