EStrught
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3

Solved!

M281 fdw printer, CF 401X 402X 403X cartridges

HP Recommended
HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw Wireless Multifunction Printer with Fax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Long story short: we have an MFP M281fdw all-in-one printer, and three colour cartridges (CF 401X 402X 403X) which appear to be almost identical to those actually designed for this model (which would be 203X) but for a tiny hard plastic spur which prevents their fitting into the toner cradles.  We ordered them, in error as we now realise, as soon as the 'low ink' message first appeared … seven weeks ago; thus, now that we actually are running out of ink, it's too late to return them to Amazon. Dare we cut off the little spurs with wire-cutters and try them anyway? Is there any other functional difference between 403X and 203X? We're a small charity, so this is a lot of money to us. Thanking anyone who can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Repairatrooper
Level 13
Level 13
8,530 8,430 886 2,587
Message 2 of 3
HP Recommended

The problem will be the identity chip will be different and likely stop them from working, even if everything else is the same.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Repairatrooper
Level 13
Level 13
8,530 8,430 886 2,587
Message 2 of 3
HP Recommended

The problem will be the identity chip will be different and likely stop them from working, even if everything else is the same.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

EStrught
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. Had we known that the extremely annoying 'low toner' messages would start so long before we actually needed new toner, we would have waited to order new supplies. By the bye, the manual suggests that we could turn off an incessant 'very low toner' message, but apparently not the earlier 'low toner' message; every computer in the office has been reminded that “Cartridge is low” several times a day for seven weeks now to the point that mild-mannered people now actually shout at the printer in frustration. Is there any way to modify that warning?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation