Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
color laserjet M452dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Automatic 2-sided printing is disabled on my new M452dn. To enable, the instructions say right-click printer in Devices and Printer, choose Printer Properties, go to Device Settings tab and set Duplex Unit as Installed. However, all the controls on the Device Settings tab are disabled. How do I enable automatic 2-sided printing?

printer props.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

you need to log in with admin rights to enable. Or else you can try to install a new driver (if it allows).

Regards

HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

you need to log in with admin rights to enable. Or else you can try to install a new driver (if it allows).

Regards

HP

HP Recommended

I am logged in as a user belonging to the Administrators group.

I have also reinstalled the latest drivers.

Device Settings is still disabled.

HP Recommended

I used "net user administrator /active:yes" to enable the hidden windows admin account, then logged in as it. The device settings was then finally enabled and I could set the Duplex as installed.

2-sided printing cost $50 more and was a selling feature of the printer. It seems very odd this feature installs disabled and requires knowledge not expected of most printer purchasers to figure out how to enable it. Is this normal or did my install silently just go wonky both times I installed the driver?

HP Recommended

Hi BrookR,

You can force the M452dn to atuomatically duplex (2-side print) all jobs if you specify it from the printer's EWS web page.

Navigate to the IP address of the printer and select the 'System' tab at the top.  Then, select the 'Paper Setup' page.

Your printer should have a duplex option, switch that to 'On.'  You will likely want to use 'Long Edge' for your duplexing (portrait).

HPM452dn-DuplexSetting.png

Please reply back if this does/doesn't work for you.

I am an HP Employee. My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP
HP Recommended

Solved the issue by logging into computer as "Administrator" (had to activate the hidden account first).

When I installed the software on a different computer, I did not have the same problem.

HP Recommended

chimten,

Yes, that changed the setting within the printer, but HPLIP, CUPS and okular do not see it.

Printing is still one-sided.

HP Recommended

Hi rob46,

This may be due to how the print settings were specified in the print jobs sent from HPLIB, CUPS, and okular.  Could you specify those jobs to attempt printing from the duplexer and try again? 

HP Recommended

Yes, after setting the duplexer on by directly addressing the printer and thereafter reinstalling in CUPS,

it is now working properly. 

Might a future firmware update turn it off again in the printer?

HP Recommended

A firmware update shouldn't turn it off unless some kind of reset happens on your printer, such as restoring the default settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.