Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M605 M506

Is there anyone on these forums that can provide information about "tray codes". The question below is a direct quote from my customer.

Is there any resource you could use to tell me if the “tray codes” for both the HP Laserjet M605X and the M506X are the same?  (like upper is upper and lower is deck feeder, etc).  I’m trying to make sure these printers are compatible with our software… but if you don’t know the answer to that easily, I suppose we could just jump into it and test it out.  I think the font set is good and the banner page can be disabled on the web interface only, so I’m just curious about the tray codes.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ...  if the “tray codes” for both the HP Laserjet M605X and the M506X are the same?

I've no access to either of the printer models mentioned, so I don't know the answer.

Note:

• You are probably referring to tray identifier values used by the PCL Page Description Language,  but (if you are using one of the other 'standard' PDLs (PCL6 (a.k.a. PCL XL) or PostScript), the values may be completely different.
  • Even for the same PDL, 'tray codes' do sometimes vary between printer models, although (in my experience) it tends to be 'generational'. i.e. most modern devices probably use the same values as other models of the same generation.
  • HP used to publish details of the PCL (and sometimes PCL XL) identifiers in each User Guide manual , but no longer appear to do so.
  • To assist with the 'trial and error' method of ascertaining the relevant identifier values, use the Tray Map tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application, available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

>> ...  if the “tray codes” for both the HP Laserjet M605X and the M506X are the same?

I've no access to either of the printer models mentioned, so I don't know the answer.

Note:

• You are probably referring to tray identifier values used by the PCL Page Description Language,  but (if you are using one of the other 'standard' PDLs (PCL6 (a.k.a. PCL XL) or PostScript), the values may be completely different.
  • Even for the same PDL, 'tray codes' do sometimes vary between printer models, although (in my experience) it tends to be 'generational'. i.e. most modern devices probably use the same values as other models of the same generation.
  • HP used to publish details of the PCL (and sometimes PCL XL) identifiers in each User Guide manual , but no longer appear to do so.
  • To assist with the 'trial and error' method of ascertaining the relevant identifier values, use the Tray Map tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application, available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply. It's a big managed print customer of mine, so I always try and get them some type of answer. The only thing I could think to try would be a print to file from each driver for M605 and M506 and compare that to the UPD file- but I so very rarely do print to file for comparisons anymore....

accepted as solution! We will give your PCL tool a shot- I still have alot of customers that use thrid party software DOS based and older AS400 invoicing and warehouse inventory control servers- so this may be a very helpful tool indeed!

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Good point about using 'print to file' from the standard drivers (having selected a particular media/paper source tray via the Print dialogue), then analysing the capture files, or examining the GPD file associated with each driver.

The PRN File Analyse tool in PCL Paraphernalia can assist with analysing captured print streams.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.