Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet 700 m712

I have a desktop MICR toner equipped  HP LASERJET 700 for check printing.

I am having issues with a bank rejecting scans. the percentages are all over the place. the MICR line is there! But, Some characters dont even read, or read incorrectly..

KNOWN GOOD FONT(from other laser machine)

POSITIONING IS SPOT ON

DENSITY(visually) IS FINE

specific questions:

-Is that even possible with a MICR cartridge? I would think all would be bad.

-Transfer belt was mentioned.. but id think that would show up as light print or streaks-it isnt.

-Could it just be bad MICR toner?(doubtful but possible)

-could it be rendering the font wrong? (printing from a pdf)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

My experience is that typically MICR printing requires a proper font card installed on the printer to ensure that fonts are correct. You mention transfer belt but the M712 is a mono only machine, no transfer belt, people that gave you that information must have thought you had a color unit. What may be happening is that the fonts are being printed in grey scale and therefore not dense enough.  You could try setting the driver to print text only as black but if you are printing from a PDF that might be not solve the problem either as it may be treated as an image not text.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

There could be a bunch of possibilities that are causing your issue.

First it could very well be the toner I would try a new first and see how your prints come out.

The transfer belt works hand to hand with your toner if that is failing or not getting the proper electric charge you will have quality issues similar to how you mentioned.

You can also try a new driver for your PC as well.  And I would also try a few other settings for your check paper sometimes the media type needs to be changed even though you were having success with another type of setting 

And yes the PDF format could cause issues sometimes just make sure your print settings within your program you are using are the same as the driver on your PC ( print preference settings ) 

Hope this helps best of luck 

HP Recommended

definitely not color! Im sure he He meant roller.  IT doesnt have a belt. Just a soft fuzzy roller below the cartridge.

HP Recommended

Ive tried three different cartridges.

This printer was purchased as a check printer. The font should be there.... Ive been using it for years. Just now having a serious issues, with a new bank.

HP Recommended

Then your looking at other components causing your issue or its driver related 

the issue could stem from the secondary transfer roller to your fuser for hardware

but maybe try a new driver and see if that changes anything for you 

HP Recommended

I've had a "tech" come into look at it.... but he looked at me with puss in boots eyes.. the questions I asked are outside his depth. Printer is fine. He is checking into toner. I sort of have to believe thats the issue right now. Unless theres some bizarre issue with adobe im unaware of.... unlikely....

it worked for  years. now it doesn't. works on a different laser printer. 

I think the toner provider went cheap on me. lol

heres my job flow. 

use GMC on a windows machine to generate a pdf. (with known good font)

print to printer from pdf.

thats it. Ive been doing that since day one. It was a Xerox docutech before that, and a xerox phaser before that.... same font... 

Ill update with info about the toner. but any other advice is appreciated.

thanks to all for replies.

HP Recommended

Best of luck.  The community is here for you

HP Recommended

New toner bottle. no luck. font options... resolution changes... no joy

cranked toner density it scans. 

so... well see laser maybe?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.