Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 4100 Printer series
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My MacBook Pro has been able to see my network printer and print since I purchased this Mac new in 2011. Then one day a couple of months ago I tried to print and now I get the error message "The printer is not responding." Yet, my husband – sitting right beside me – can print from his MacBook Pro to the same printer with no problem.

The only difference is our OS, so that HAS to be the issue.  I make the common mistake of keeping my OS updated at all times. He wisely picks an OS he likes and sticks with it until Apple refuses to allow him to continue with it.

I believe the update I made to OS 10.11 might have been the one that prompted this issue. Of course, it is entirely possible that the issue isn't the OS update at all. But I think it is. And I'm pretty smart. Just not smart enough to resolve this issue.

My efforts at self-correction have led me to an Internet circular path of misinformation.

I will be grateful for any answer except those that start with "Try to restart your printer," "Unplug your printer from the (wall/router/latest social scene)" or any other steps that people usually try before coming to a place like this.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved my own problem.
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but this is what I did:

1. I opened System Preferences
  2. Clicked on Printers & Scanners
  3. Clicked on the + to add a printer
  4. When the "Add" screen came up, my printer (HP LaserJet 4100 Series) was found through Bonjour
  5. At the bottom pull-down menu for "Use," I clicked "Select Software"
  6. I scrolled down to HP LaserJet 4100 Series.
  7. This is where I did something different. There were two options for my printer, one was a generic HP LaserJet 4100 Series, and one was for the exact version of my printer, the HP LaserJet 4100 Series v.3010.107. I have always used the software that was the exact version of my printer. However, this time, I clicked on the generic  4100 Series that did not include my version. That did the trick!

It works!

Best wishes to anyone else struggling with this issue. I hope this helps someone else.:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Trying to delete this post but cannot see how to do so. It offered no assistance, only my frustration that my issue had not been resolved. Any recommendations on how to delete this particular post within this thread would be helpful. Perhaps someone can private message me with instructions on how to delete this post.

HP Recommended

I solved my own problem.
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but this is what I did:

1. I opened System Preferences
  2. Clicked on Printers & Scanners
  3. Clicked on the + to add a printer
  4. When the "Add" screen came up, my printer (HP LaserJet 4100 Series) was found through Bonjour
  5. At the bottom pull-down menu for "Use," I clicked "Select Software"
  6. I scrolled down to HP LaserJet 4100 Series.
  7. This is where I did something different. There were two options for my printer, one was a generic HP LaserJet 4100 Series, and one was for the exact version of my printer, the HP LaserJet 4100 Series v.3010.107. I have always used the software that was the exact version of my printer. However, this time, I clicked on the generic  4100 Series that did not include my version. That did the trick!

It works!

Best wishes to anyone else struggling with this issue. I hope this helps someone else.:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.