Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
All OfficeJet Models

In light of the WannaCRY ransomware, and numerous posts from microsoft over the years about how bad SMBv1 is (it was invented in the 80s!) - I have to ask - when will HP bring SMBv2 and v3 to the OfficeJet series?

I personally have an OfficeJet  8610, and it is incapable of scanning to network because it only supports SMBv1.  None of the new OfficeJets support the newer protocols, either.  Given v2 has been around since Vista (2006), I find it difficult to believe HP would spend the next 11 years not integrating more secure file sharing protocols into their products, yet that is the case.

I work for a MSP that is in the process of globally disabling SMBv1 (or in the case of Win 8.1/2012R2 or newer OS, uninstalling the service completely) on servers and workstations as a security precaution - we're literally making over 8,000 endpoints incompatible with every OfficeJet ever made.

Where's the support here?  Even in a SOHO or SMB, I expected more of HP here.  Not everyone needs a higher end LaserJet with an enterprise class JetDirect card.  I'd hardly call SMBv2/v3 an "enterprise" feature.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

^This guy is asking the questions that matter.

We've disabled SMBv1 on all our servers and client PCs, as all our hardware is relatively new (nothing that wouldn't support SMBv2, of course!). Ah, but HP had different ideas...

Got off chat a while ago, asking if our printers supported SMBv2 (HP LaserJet 400 MFP M425dn - updated to the latest firmware). I was told "Yes, it supports both SMBv1 and SMBv2," but they wouldn't given any more information without us shelling out $39 (there's no guarantee they'll actually get it working, that's non-refundable). I've looked through all the menus, and scoured the internet looking for information about this fabled SMBv2 support, and have yet to come up with anything (other than anecdotal evidence pointing toward the conclusion that it does not actually support it).

I'll be thinking twice in the future before making recommendations for HP, since apparently either 1. Making firmware that is outdated before it's even made, or 2. Not providing adequate documentation, is the modus operandi. I've had good experiences with some their competitors in the past...

HP Recommended

I have to agree. I've been in the IT game for decades and always recommended HP products to customers. I, too work for a large MSP and we concluded the same as ttmcmurry: SMBv1 is gone. One of the concerns was that some legacy scanners wouldn't work, but the spectre of WannaCry and its derivatives made the decision easy. It's time HP stepped up and fixed their firmware. I've disabled SMBv1 on all my home computers so now I have to scan from web to do any meaningful scanning at home. This is a pain for me personally, but there are many more enterprise customers that will walk away from HP because of things like this.

HP Recommended

Microsoft has stated that SMBv1 will be disabled by default starting in Windows 10 Redstone 3 (Fall 2017 Creator's Update) - and future editions of Windows Server.   Any edition *upgraded* from an earlier Win10 with SMBv1 enabled will still be enabled.

However, Microsoft also EOL'ed SMBv1 and at a future date won't ship the protocol.  There are already internal Microsoft builds (Win 10 Enterprise and Win Server 2016) without SMBv1 installed.  

Basically, the entire fleet of OfficeJets produced to date will be unable to scan to folder as early as this October/November, on new Windows PCs, without a user intentionally installing SMBv1, therefore creating a massive security hole in their PC.  

Where's the fimware update, HP?  I can't make everyone install an app to use a scanner.  

HP Recommended

Hello everyone!

I also have an OfficeJet 8610, and I am really frustrated by te fact the a printer that was bought just a few years ago, does not support something so simple such as SMB2...

But, sas anyone with a business account contacted HP?

If yes, what was their reply? Do they have any plans of releasing firmware upgrades on "older" printers?

Even though I stronlgy believe that they won't, (thinking that this way they will force users to "upgrade") I just wanted to aks just in case.

HP Recommended

I'm putting in a ticket w/support on this and will update this post w/anything i hear back with.

HP Recommended

Pingback.

Did you hear anything from support?

HP Recommended

I did.. they told me that ..... my printer was.. out of warranty.

so basically no answer but from what i've seen in working w/smb1 and smb2/3 in the last few months as a system admin/desktop admin for a law firm; i feel they lack smb v2/3 support. I updated to lastest firmware from 2016 on our scanner/printer and it still had ZERO smb based options.  Honestly though, these are more consumer based machines than enterprise but with ransomware attacks leveraging SMB protocols; this becomes a "EVERYONE" problem.  It doesn't matter if these are consumer based devices; windows updates will disable smb v1 protocols on their machines with or withoutu their knowledge to protect them from known vulnerabilities.  

Our fix is a very easy one; not using HP for our small branches and scanning needs and researching more in depth all configurable options and supported protocols. yea, it's a sucky answer that support won't even give us. 😉 

HP Recommended

@JimmyPaidGeek

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy,

Thank you for responding; this is a very important issue for a lot of us.  I work for a MSP - it wasn't fun telling 460 customers that all of their HP OfficeJet & LaserJet AIO printers will no longer be able to scan to network folders.  

Please understand that as I work for a support organization, due to the NSA tools release, Microsoft Guidance (long before the NSA tools release going back to 2006 with Vista's intoduction of SMB2), WannaCRY, and the new Petya variants; we had no choice but to remove SMBv1 from literally 10s of thousands of server, desktop, and laptop endpoints.

The scope of this issue is immense.  HP has been dead-quiet about it.  Starting in September with the Fall Creator's update, even Windows 10 ships with SMBv1 disabled.  Server 2016's next refresh will ship with the feature removed.  

I hope there's a larger answer that can be shared.  Even with my 2.5 year old OfficeJet 8610, I'm stuck with no viable network scanning option.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.