Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

@sandytechy20

Please advise as soon as there is an update to this.  I too work for an MSP who has disabled SMBv1 on numerous PCs as of recent, and now have the unpleasant task of telling clients to whom I have recently recommended HP printers that they need to return them or purchase a different brand.

HP Recommended

The issue is so widespread, that there is no need to be brought to any team's attention.

HP knows very well that almost EVERY office/home printer they had been selling, was only SMB 1.0 compatible.

I guess the cost for realeasing a new firmware (which should not be only SMB2.0 but also SMB3.0 compatible) is too high, so they are just ignoring it.

Keep in mind that this is also a good way for customers to replace their expensive printers with new....

Let's be honest guys, we're stuck with this issue. HP will most propably never fix it.

If it does though, I will personally buy only HP products from now on, and I will also make sure to spread the word. But, I think that things like these happen only in dreams...

An alternative to this mess that HP itself created, is (if you are on Windows 8.x/10) downloading HP Smart from Windows Store, add the printer and scan through this app.

HP Recommended

Just FYI on the HP Smart app from the Windows Store, that would work for home offices or small businesses with only one subnet.  Keep in mind the app doesn't scan for devices outside of the computer's subnet.

So if you have a properly segmented network, or the need for > 1 network & the printer is not in your computer's subnet, or the printer is on another floor (assuming each floor is on its own subnet), or if your WiFi network is on a different subnet than your printer & computer then this app won't work for you.

I'm sure you're aware, the real fix is with proper, modern protocols.  

HP Recommended

Reply to PM and info sent.

HP better get it's act together or they are about to lose a large share of the smaller business/home users and network scanning needs.  Our company is now starting to look into smaller Xerox or Canon scanners with how HP has handled this.

This again has become an "EVERYONES" problem not just enterprise users (which the common answer is: you should be buying a hp device w/a jetdirect card or just enable smbv1 because losing all of your companies data due to an exploit isn't a red flag..).  

btw, my consumer nas was updated the same week with firmware to address smbv1/v2/v3 but then again it also had builtin support for the v2 and v3 protocols which again have existed since 2006 (11 years ago!!)

HP Recommended

Just adding my 2 cents.  Yes this is a major problem, HP better come up with a resolution quick.

HP Recommended

"Quick" has come and gone.

HP Recommended
M570dn also affected. No options exist via telnet to switch to smbv3. Or v2.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

Just received an email from an HP representative who replied to my ticket and, as expected, informed me that "HP Consumer Printer will only support SMB v1".

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if current "consumer" printers only support SMBv1? This more of an "out of curiosity" question, as I don't intend to purchase/advise the purchase of any more HP printers.

HP Recommended

For the information of everyone on this tread, HP recently (June 2017) published a list of all printers that support SMB v2/3 and those that only support v1. All of the OfficeJet Pro models are listed as supporting only v1. They also reference the MS support bulletin on SMB v1.

Here is the white paper: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547920

I think this as definitive as we are going to get from HP on this topic. It also appears that there are no consumer/small office MFP models available that support SMB v2/3. We will likely need to shell out some $$ to get an "enterprise" level MFP to have this support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.