Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
P1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated my netwrok and made a few changes, now I cannot get my P1102w to connect wirelessly.  I have read all the threads, I have reset the printer, un-installed and re-installed the software, try different computers and I cannot get to to connect or access other than usb.

The network configuration shows all 0.0.0.0

The 802.1b/g/n wireless

Status=enabled

communication mode=Infrastructure

Network name (SSID)= (my wireless network)

Authentication=WPA/WPA2

I am at a loss, I have reset everything, restarted everything and I cannot get this to connect.   It is sitting right net to a Officejet Pro 8600 with a static IP connected wirelessly working just fine

I have no idea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Make sure printer and router at at least 5 feet apart.

In the router temporarily remove all security from the router.   Now try to connect to your unsecured SSID.  Are you successful?

If yes, go back and add WPA2-AES with your password and try again.  Status now?

If no joy, try WPA only and try again.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Make sure printer and router at at least 5 feet apart.

In the router temporarily remove all security from the router.   Now try to connect to your unsecured SSID.  Are you successful?

If yes, go back and add WPA2-AES with your password and try again.  Status now?

If no joy, try WPA only and try again.

HP Recommended

I switched the security to wpa/wpa2 and that worked thank you very much!

Is there anyway to put a static ip address in the printer?  I logged in via the web portal and I don't see how to change that

HP Recommended

Great.   Yes you should be able to give it a static IP.  First you have to make room in your router outside the DHCP range

So in your router set your DHCP starting and ending address to something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150.

Now set your printer to something like 192.168.1.10.

You may have to use the printers Web GUI to access this setting.   Go to the printers IP address it shows now to access the internal settings.   Or check the HP folder on your computer for access.

HP Recommended

help me please. I just switched from xfinity to att internet, and now my printer won't connect wirelessly. I have no idea what to do. I have mac 10.10.5 and a laserjet p1102w. The blue light just flashes on the printer, and it says it cannot find a connection. The key I think(?) is to set up my printer to be on my wireless network, but I absolutely have NO IDEA how to do that. Can someone give me detailed steps please? I am so frustrated and need to print ASAP and have been reading everything but not understanding anything for the past several hours.

PS. When I click to add new printer...no printer shows up.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@MacBookPro13 wrote:

help me please. I just switched from xfinity to att internet, and now my printer won't connect wirelessly. I have no idea what to do. I have mac 10.10.5 and a laserjet p1102w. The blue light just flashes on the printer, and it says it cannot find a connection. The key I think(?) is to set up my printer to be on my wireless network, but I absolutely have NO IDEA how to do that. Can someone give me detailed steps please? I am so frustrated and need to print ASAP and have been reading everything but not understanding anything for the past several hours.

PS. When I click to add new printer...no printer shows up.

Thanks in advance.

Replacing/changing your wireless router, try here.  

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel or computer.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.  Read your User Guide for info.
* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time.  
* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart.  
* The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.  
* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If this does not work, suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over.

HP Recommended

Here's how to solve the P1102w WiFi connection issue.  All the "help" listed in these forums was of no use to me as I was on an Apple operating system, and forget about using the HP Software to do any of this - it's a joke.

After stumbling around for hours, this is how you fix it.

1) Connect the P1102 to your Mac using a cable - leave on until the end.

2) Go to System Preferences>Printers & Scanners

3) Create a new printer by clicking the "+" and add it.

4) After the printer is available, select it and click on Options & Supplies

5) There should be a button that says Show Printer Webpage (or something similar).  Click it.

6) Now depending (I've seen differnt pages so you might have to do some hunting here), you could have different set up page, but in essence you will be turning on your printer's WiFi connection here.

7) Look for "Setup" or a tab that says "Network". Click it. Then look for "Wireless Configuration".  This is where you are going to make the **bleep** thing print again via WiFi.

😎 Click status to "ON" then click "Join an existing wireless network", then select your network then enter the passphrase (your password to the WPA2 Personal on the router).

9) Click Apply or Save. Once you've done this (and hopefully entered the right password) you'll see the blue WiFi light on the printer come on.  At this point disconnect the wire - you won't need it anymore.

10) Print away!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. I also found that after you connect your computer, you have to delete the printer that shows up and reapply it. Then all of this works like gangbusters. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thanks a gazillion, Robbie89512 and Msbryte. Your step-by-step instructions we so far the most clear and idiot (that's me)-proof! Now my printer is up and running - you made it sound so simple.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your step-by-step instructions - so clear and idiot (that's me)-proof. I too have a mac computer and for 3 days I was going back and forth looking for the trick that will work for me. Yours was the one!!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.