Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 4600dtn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We are getting errors as follows when printing:

PCL XL error

Subsystem:  KERNEL

Error:             MissingData

Operator:     LineRelPath

Position:       9975            

OR

Subsystem:   KERNEL

Error:               Illegal Attribute

Operator:       PopGS

Position:         32982       

This is typically when printing a fairly large document: 20-30 pages.

We have tried printing unsuccessfully with the Universal PCL6 and Postscript 64bit Win 10 driver, but I don't see anywhere to download a Win10 64 bit PCL5 driver.  Is there a Universal Win10 64 bit PCL5 driver available?  I was looking for some guidance on how to proceed or maybe a workaround.  

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... am I out of luck with PCL5 in Win10? ...

Yes, unless either HP or Microsoft provides a device-specific PCL5 driver for your printer model and operating system version:

• For HP, check on the support website.
  • For Microsoft, a built-in driver may be available. 

My Windows 10 Professional 64-bit system has several built-in drivers for Colour LaserJet 4600 printers:

Capture.PNG 

You may have to click the Windows Update button in the Add Printer dialogue, then wait (perhaps for several minutes) whilst additional drivers are downloaded, before the list is repopulated.

Of course, I have no idea if these drivers will work successfully, or if they will provide all of the features that you may want. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

>> ... Is there a Universal Win10 64 bit PCL5 driver available? ...

No.

HP UPD 6.1.0 is the last release of UPD to include PCL5.

HP Recommended

Any workarounds possible or am I out of luck with PCL5 in Win10?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

>> ... am I out of luck with PCL5 in Win10? ...

Yes, unless either HP or Microsoft provides a device-specific PCL5 driver for your printer model and operating system version:

• For HP, check on the support website.
  • For Microsoft, a built-in driver may be available. 

My Windows 10 Professional 64-bit system has several built-in drivers for Colour LaserJet 4600 printers:

Capture.PNG 

You may have to click the Windows Update button in the Add Printer dialogue, then wait (perhaps for several minutes) whilst additional drivers are downloaded, before the list is repopulated.

Of course, I have no idea if these drivers will work successfully, or if they will provide all of the features that you may want. 

HP Recommended

This solution did it for me.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, HP removed x64 PCL5 printer driver support from Windows 10.  My earlier Windows 10 x64 install of an HP  PCL5 printer went without a hitch, while the most recent one kept telling me that no compatible printer driver were available. 

The HP Customer Support - Knowledge Base article states,  "NOTE:  HP UPD 6.1.0 is the last release of UPD to include PCL5."  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04324001  And, the link HP provides to older UPL versions no longer works.

Find "HP UPD 6.1.0" somewhere else and save it to your desktop.  Add a printer in Windows 10 and point the installation tool at the driver you saved. It works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.