Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M553
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to print on the US small envelope (roughly 3.5" x 6.5"). There is not a direct setting for that size envelope so I picked the closest as the user guide says to do which is Envelope Monarch. The envelopes can only fit in the guides on Tray 1 as the paper guides on the internal trays don't go small enough. If I have the Tray 1 set to Envelope Monarch when I print from any software (tried multiple) about the first inch and a half on the left hand side of the envelope prints faded/washed out then the rest of the envelope is printed fine. It doesn't matter what type of paper the envelope is (tried several types). If I set the tray to "any, any" the envelopes are printed fine but there is a cleaning cycle between each envelope print job.  (If I print the same image on "letter" type instead of Envelope Monarch it prints fine so it does not seem to be anything with the actual image to print.)

A cleaning cycle between each print is  better than not being able to print but takes a lot of time, plus get the message of hitting "ok" on submission of a Envelope Monarch on the screen to begin each job.

SIde note: even when using Envelope Monarch setting on Tray 1 I get the "mismatch" message each print job when loading the envelopes.

Any solutions? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The cleaning cycle is generated when using any/any as the printer does not know if toner has been applied where there was no paper and in order to ensure print quality it cleans the belt. Can you not set a "custom"size on Tray 1 and match it to the size you need to print. Screen capture below is from my 577 which is the same basic engine as the 553 and allows custom size as small as 3x5. Then set the paper size your application is asking for to match the custom size you have in tray 1 and you should get no prompts. You will also likely need to set paper type to envelope to ensure proper bonding of toner.

envelope.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply - I will try it later today and let you know the results

HP Recommended

Used "custom size" (3.625" x 6.5") and "envelope" on Tray 1 and sent - it still gave me type mismatch and also the fading on first inch of left hand side. Since it kept giving me the "error" screens not sure if it cleaned between jobs or not.

Printed again with Tray 1 at "any," "any" and printed fine but does clean between job 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.