Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet M254dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I've seen others post this issue but can't find a solution. I've installed a genuine HP toner cartridge and now I have a pop-up that appears at random times telling me it needs to be authenticated but can't because of the internet connection. The last time this happened, when I first set up the printer,  it lasted for 13 days before finally fixing itself.

the message is

"Your software can authenticate cartridges using an online service. However, access to the internet is not possible at this time."

As others who have reported this issue, the printer is connected by wifi and internet access is working fine.  How can get the software to authenticate the cartridge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had a feeling it would be off already. Seems that it's a software program that runs on the computer more than a printer generated event. Try looking at this link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/start-up-cartridge-authentication-prompt/td-p/712372...

It seems that the program needs to be stopped or uninstalled to fix this issue.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Try this:

Using the control panel, go into your Setup Menu, then System Setup Menu, select Supply Settings, then Cartridge Policy and select OFF. See if that helps. I've never encountered the message you're getting, so kind of at a loss if my suggestion doesn't work and I've been working on printers for over 37 years. An additional option might be to try updating the firmware to the latest available.

HP Recommended

I'm assuming those instructions are for Windows users? No cartridge policy option on Mac that I can find.

HP Recommended

No, those instructions are for the printer itself. Use its touch screen control panel. 

You can see the control panel options here:

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c05634821

HP Recommended

Funny, didn't even occur to me. Printer is on a corner shelf, out of sight.

Anyway, thanks for the idea but won't help because that option is already set to off.

HP Recommended

I had a feeling it would be off already. Seems that it's a software program that runs on the computer more than a printer generated event. Try looking at this link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/start-up-cartridge-authentication-prompt/td-p/712372...

It seems that the program needs to be stopped or uninstalled to fix this issue.

HP Recommended

The immediate solution on that thread is to turn off the messages, which is akin to unplugging your smoke alarm to put out a fire LOL. But the user provided a link lower down from the knowledge base which seems to have fixed the problem--resetting the printer through the unplugging method. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. Interesting and good to know that the "fix" is simply a power reset of the printer (the method of unplugging with power ON) which I've used for years to fix various issues and train other techs I work with to do as well. I just didn't think that that would have been the solution. I was hoping that one of the things on that page would make a dent. I agree about the turning off messages, but if that's what would've fixed it.... Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Welp, spoke too soon. Message is back, so I'll have to just turn off the alerts. 

HP Recommended

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. If I come across anything else to try, I'll let you know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.