Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need to install your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP M477

So mad at myself!  Opened my printer, got it set up.  Removed all extra tape, etc.  On the glass I saw a plastic strip that was lifted on the corner, so of course, I took it off!  Big mistake.  Now I can't fax and I realize it probably was not meant to be removed.  I assumed it was to be taken off because it was lifted somewhat.  Is there a replacement for this strip?  HELP.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You are not the first, not the last person that removed it. I really don't understand why HP engineers designed that plastic strip in that way. And the worst part is it can't be replaced with a new one, you need to replace the whole scanner.

I would recommend calling local HP support or HP authorised service, explain to them the situation and hope they will fix it free of charge. Try contacting seller maybe seller can do something for you.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  The graphic that they reference show someone peeling up the tape.  The Circle/slash seems to indicate  something  should not be there.   You see this for the first time while you are in the process of removing about 5 or 6 pieces of other tape.   Why can't they just use WORDS?  "Do not remove film."  Plenty of room to put it in a few languages with a photo or picture.  

Anyway, I ordered this product. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7Q24LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

on Amazon.  It was $14.95.   It's a flexible screen protector, but it's more like glass than a film.   Not happy with the $15 for two protectors to use 1.5 inches of it, but to fix a $400 buck printer, ok.  (I got the FDW 477 MFP.)  You have to cut it to fit the scan window.  It fits on the glass on the left edge, just below the plastic ridge.  Then it extends just about 2/3'rds of the way up the little plastic ramp.  I would prefer something more flexible but this works.  I cut it with a rotary type paper cutter, I don't know if scissors would damage it.  A really sharp razor might work.   Don't know how long it will last but you can make about 10 of these with the contents of the kit.   

With this kit, you cut a strip 11" long (roughly, but the long way)  and then trim the edges to fit the little scan window.  The strip i cut is about 1.5" wide (38mm) by about 9", your printer design might be different.  It's shown below with the protective film still on.  The blue side goes up, there is a very thin, almost invisible clear film you remove to stick it to the printer.  Then remove the blue film without disturbing it.  By the way, that graphic says 9H backwards, not HP.  

Good luck, i really wish you success. 20190216_143818.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.