Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M477fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an MFP M477fdw and would like to be able to monitor the number of prints per user, however, I've not been able to find any information in the HP user manual nor on the Web. This is for a Home / Home Office environment - all users are running OS X or iOS on their devices.

I appreciate that different user profiles or accounts are not created on the printer, but if there is a way of logging the prints per originating MAC address, or similar, I'd appreciate guidance to achieve this.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Papercut would require an agent installed on each PC. Had you looked at the enterprise level HP products like the M575/577 they have built in basic job accounting, at this time they do not offer that functionality on the Pro series products.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Best option is Papercut software. There is not detailed accounting built in.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Regarding "detailed accounting" do you mean full reporting in terms of black & white versus colour, or are you referring to deeper features such as cost accounting (literally) i.e. cost per page and allocation to budget centres ? 

I just need something fundamental / simple, i.e. number of pages printer per user. Does paper cut provide this, and does it integrate 'natively' with OS X / Windows print dialogue or does it require a separate software to manage print commands ?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Papercut would require an agent installed on each PC. Had you looked at the enterprise level HP products like the M575/577 they have built in basic job accounting, at this time they do not offer that functionality on the Pro series products.

HP Recommended

I'm now trialling Papercut Pocket. Initial impressions are good (overall). 

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.