Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New printer. Factory Default is Letter. Set up new profile with everything setup for A4 / Tray 2 / Paper Unspecified. The sliders are all set correctly (I have tried several clicks either side of A4). A4 paper loaded.

I have Word document (Office 365). Sized to A4 with Header and Footers. When I print the printer screen displays the prompt to load Letter or accept whatever paper is in - or cancel. When I print the document is shifted to top right - wide left margin and tall footer margin - completely wrong.

I have setup the printer directly on the printer. In the web interface (192.168.1.91) and in the Windows driver screen. Everything points to A4 but the printer still insists it needs letter paper to be loaded.

This is driving me NUTS!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the print screen click the Setup icon and select System Setup, from there select Paper and Tray management.

Set the default paper size as A4 and also make sure the paper size setting is set as A4 or Any Size for the trays.

May you see any difference?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

One other thing you can check is for a setting in tray setup that allows automatic substitute of A4 for letter and vice versa which resizes the print automatically.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.