Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M452DN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I do a number of mail merges and print 4x6 postcards using Word 2016.  When print to the M452DN and print from tray one it works fine. 

When I try to print from tray two (load the printer with postcards).  The printer will print one card.  Go into cleaning mode.  Complain about the size of the postcard (I have it set ot A6 which is very close to 4x6) and then print the first page over and over.

Agian; Works fine with tray one,  with the obvious limitation that it takes forever to print, and that I can only put about ten cards in the feeder at a time which is  a PIA when printing 500.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I can't see the various images you posted recently - it sometimes take a number of hours before such attachments are "approved".

What does the printer show for the tray paper configuration?

For example, on a local M475dn, via the Embedded Web Server:

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

>> ... Complain about the size of the postcard (I have it set ot A6 which is very close to 4x6) and then print the first page over and over ...

I'd guess that the problem is caused by the fact that 4"x6" is not exactly the same as A6:

• A6 is 105 mm x 148 mm
  • 4" x 6" is 101.6 mm x 152.4 mm

So you tell the printer that it has A6 paper in the tray, then its paper feed sensors suggest that this is not the case.

I don't have access to a LaserJet M452, so I don't know for sure which paper sizes it supports.

A local LaserJet 400 Pro M475dn (MFP equivalent of M451dn) has both A6 and 4 x 6 in. as supported paper sizes, so I'd assume that your M452 probably does as well.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried to make sure everything is set to 4x6.  

Screenshot of Printer PropertiesScreenshot of Printer PropertiesPrinter ScreenPrinter ScreenPaper loadedPaper loaded

After I the first page prints, the printer goes into cleaning after which,  this is what is displayed.

Error after printing first pageError after printing first page

What I do not understand is that the printer keeps going back to "letter."  I must be missing something....  

I do have the  most recent driver and firmware.  

Thoughts?  Thanks again in advance!

HP Recommended

I can't see the various images you posted recently - it sometimes take a number of hours before such attachments are "approved".

What does the printer show for the tray paper configuration?

For example, on a local M475dn, via the Embedded Web Server:

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

I can see your images now.

The prompt on the printer stating "Load tray 2 Hvy Glossy, 4 x 6" implies that the incoming print job has requested media (paper) of size = 4 x 6 and type = Hvy Glossy

So this is what should be configured on the printer itself (via front panel menus, or the Embedded Web Server equivalent).

Paper size is usually detected automatically (at least, for standard paper sizes) via sensors attached to the length and width guides in the cassette tray; I'm not sure if this applies to lesser-used sizes such as 4 x 6 - it may need to be set manually.

Paper type is not detected automatically, so this must be set (via the relevant menu / EWS drop-down list).

The unexpected paper size prompt is probably output because the printer does not automatically detect the 4x6 size, so it believes (via the front panel / EWS configuration) that it still has some other paper size in the tray, and when the first sheet is puilled in, the sensors in the paper path indicate that it is not the expected size stored in the configuration.

Check what the configuration shows.

HP Recommended

OK.  I have 4x6 postcards in tray two and when I reboot the printer it shows letter and plain.  I have not tried to print anything.

Printer Config - 4x6 in tray twoPrinter Config - 4x6 in tray two

Interestinly enough, when I look at the event log (getting over my head here) I see quite a lot of unexpected "Unexpected paper size"  

Printer LogPrinter Log

How to I change tray two to 4x6?

Thanks again!

Bob

HP Recommended

Problem Fixed. 

THANKS!!!!

HP Recommended

For anyone following the solution was I had to go into the printers control panel and manually set the paper to 4x6 prior to printing the postcards.  While simple,  hardly obvious.

Thanks Dansdaduk!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.