Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 4350
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Comcast replaced the office router / modem and since that time the Laserjet 4350 random;y prints garbage characters.  Nothing is printing or in the que.  It starts and empties the paper tray with one or two lines of  junk characters.  We have re-installed drivers....used the HP Doctor...restart...reboot...anything we see recommended but nothing works.

Since Comcast replaced the modem / router, we have used a static IP address for the printer...only thing that would work.

All compuetrs use static addressing.  Shown below is an example of the problem.  Help please.  ThanksIMG955452.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, the issue you are having is caused by a PCL6 driver. Try downloading the PCL5 driver and reinstall the printer. Run a test print using a document you know is producing the wingding characters and your issue should be resolved.

Hope this helps....

HP Recommended

Imagenet_Tech...thanks for the answer.  I install PCL5 on all workstations and I am waiting for results.  You mentioned reprinting the document with the bad characters....FYI most of the time the bad characters printed when the printer was idle.  Totally random.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfortunatly, changing to PCL5 did not work.  See the users email below.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Capture - Ric.JPG

HP Recommended

Did you push the PCL5 driver out through the server? Or switch it for each user locally? I have never had an issue switching to a PCL5 driver, and have only seen this issue with the PCL6 driver. So is it possible not everyone was connected via the server and is it possible some users were connected locally? Which means they may have their own que, and the driver was not pushed out to them?

HP Recommended

I installed PCL 5 individually on each computer.  FYI...here is something interesting.  We have had the problem overnight also, when no one is in the office.....printer prints garbage on its own.  The last couple of nights, I had the business owner unplug the printers's cat5 cable to disconnect the printer from the network.  Leaving the printer on and ready to print.  No problem with garbage printing.  He plugs it in at the opening of business....printer works fine all day.

We are going to unlug the network over the weekend to see what happens.

HP Recommended

Okay, sounds like someone has the printers IP address and is trying to print using the PCL6 driver. Easiest thing I would suggest, is change the IP address of the printer and monitor it while it is on the network to see if you get the same result at night with everyone gone.

HP Recommended

Changed the IP address on LJ CP1525nw and still getting the random garbage printing when no one is using the printer or would be connected with the new IP address. Using PCL6 driver and just updated the firmware. This is also happening on a CP2025 printer which has a new static IP address. Got the same garbage on both printers simultanously.

HP Recommended

Is there still no solution for this? I'm having this same exact problem at random times on my home Office Jet Pro 6830.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.   Used Espon for 10+ years, never had a problem.  "Upgraded" to M477 and had constant problems since deployment.  Not a happy customer...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.