Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Windows 10 64-bit operating system and an HP laptop and my printer was working fine a few months ago. Now, whenever I connect it it's recognized as a CD drive or optical drive rather than an actual printer. I tried a manual installation and it kept giving me an error after the USB connection was finished. I tried unplugging the printer and plugging it back in, turning my computer off and back on, etc. I've also tried uninstalling the device then plugging in the USB again and it still recognizes it as a CD drive. I've never used a CD to install the product there was always an automatic installation screen that would come up but it's not working anymore. Every time I try to see the contents of the CD drive it gives me an error and says "access denied." I'm afriad to call the HP support because I've had this printer for years and the warranty has expired. I also read that HP can charge you a fee for service if you don't have a warranty on the printer.

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Press the Setup button on the printer and click the right arrow till Service is shown, then press OK.

Select HP Smart Install and press OK.

Select Disable and press OK, confirm any prompt.

Restart the pritner and check for any difference

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Press the Setup button on the printer and click the right arrow till Service is shown, then press OK.

Select HP Smart Install and press OK.

Select Disable and press OK, confirm any prompt.

Restart the pritner and check for any difference

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I folow the printer menu but there is no HP smart line to disable it. Please help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.