Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M477 fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wireless networked MFP M477 Laserjet gives messages that it's either offline or in an error state when trying to print from two different Windows 10 computers on my network.  Ironically when printing from my wife's Ipad it prints JUST FINE.  

I tried deleting and reinstalling the HP software from my Windows machine.  The software installs perfectly, it finds the networked printer and says the printer installation was successful.  I go to print and get the offline message again.  

I've unplugged the printer and held the power button for over 30 seconds.   As I said it prints perfectly from the Ipad if that's a clue.  

I sure could use some help.  

THANKS!

-Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally fixed my problem printing to my wirelessly networked Laserjet Printer.  What finally worked was going into "Devices and Printers" and REMOVING "HP ePrint"    then rebooting and reinstalling the software.  I now can print from my two WIndows 10 machines as well as my wife's Ipad which always worked.  

Thanks to Devon for his help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello AlanD96,

Go to:

http://hp.com/go/tools

After that, download and run the Print and Scan Doctor tool, this should resolve the issue with the printer showing offline.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
HP Recommended

Devon -

Thanks for your quick reply.  My experience with the Print and Scan doctor was:

1) I ran the program

2) It located my printer

3) It said:   "the software solution for your product is not installed on this computer, click to install"

So I clicked and it just downloaded and reinstalled the MFP 477 software.  I tried to print and it still was offline.

I tried to run the doctor again and got the SAME message that I needed to install the software solution, etc. etc.

In other words, I'm in a loop with the doctor and STILL get the offline error message.  I appreciate your help though.

HP Recommended

Hello AlanD96,

It sounds like you've got yourself a software issue and the HP software won't recognize that there is an HP printer installed.

There can be lots of different ways to go about this, first what I would recommend is going under your "Devices and Printers" in control panel.

From there you should go under your "Print server properties" and remove anything that has any relation to this printer.

If there are any other remnants of HP printers that you don't use in there you should remove them as well.

From this point remove any remaining HP printers from "Devices and Printers". 

Next, go into control panel and uninstall the HP software for the printer; now reboot.

Download and install the most up to date software again from here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61848/t2-149283-2/HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL-6_Print_D...

Run the install, and attempt to print a document.

Goodluck!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
HP Recommended

I finally fixed my problem printing to my wirelessly networked Laserjet Printer.  What finally worked was going into "Devices and Printers" and REMOVING "HP ePrint"    then rebooting and reinstalling the software.  I now can print from my two WIndows 10 machines as well as my wife's Ipad which always worked.  

Thanks to Devon for his help.

HP Recommended

Problems again with the offline message regarding the printer, and /or error message this printer is only 5 mo. old??????What is going on?????????  It printed for about two months then just stopped again????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think I might buy another brand.

HP Recommended

The printer had been working fine.  Then it just quit and gave a message that it was in an error state.  There was nothing done to the computer prior to the error state.  Turning the printer off and on doesn't help, rebooting the computer doesn't help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.