Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177 series
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I just changed the black toner cartridge, HP 130a, in the M177fw printer. The printer has not worked since changing this toner cartridge. When the printer is turned on it gets stuck in the "Initializing" stage. The printer now makes a lot of loud noises during start up. When I open up the printer to look at the toner cartridges they have not rotated to the correct position for removal.  I have plugged the printer's power cord directly into a wall outlet and have unplugged the power cord and waited 60 seconds before plugging it back in for a hard restart. After retstarting the toner button on the printer's screen has an exclamation mark on it. When "Supply Status" is selected all the toner cartridges have a question mark on them. That doesn't solve the issue. I have also followed directions found in forums to turn off the printer, open up the access door to the to the toner cartridges, manually rotated the cartridge carosel to remove all the toner cartridges. Then I followed the directions to  restart the printer and reinstalled all the toner cartridges. That hasn't worked either. Please post any suggestions on what else may tried to resolve this issue. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying to my post about my M177fw printer. I feel confident that this issue has been resolved. After making this post I removed the black toner cartridge, the cyan, and magenta toner cartridges that had been installed as new and did a hard restart of the printer. I then reinstalled the old yellow (70% remaining), cyan, black and magenta toner cartridges one at a time. The printer began working again with the old toner cartridges reinstalled. I then removed all the old toner cartridges and reinstalled the replacement toner cartridges one a time. The last toner cartridge to be reinstalled, magenta, caused the stuck in initializing issue again. I then removed this toner cartridge, did a hard restart, and reinstalled the old magenta toner cartridge and the initializing issue went away, again. I am now waiting on a new hp magenta cartridge to be shipped to me to the replace the old magenta toner cartridge. When that is installed and the printer works without stuck in initializing error then I will consider it a mission accomplished. So it looks like the cause of this issue is a deffective magenta toner cartridge.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Speedbump55

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177 printer. I read that after replacing the black ink cartridge, the printer is stuck on the initializing stage.  The printer makes a lot of loud noises during startup. Alos, the toner cartridges they have not rotated to the correct position for removal. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I suggest you to reset the printer. A private message is sent to you with the instructions on how to reset the printer.

Hope this helps. Let me know the results. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying to my post about my M177fw printer. I feel confident that this issue has been resolved. After making this post I removed the black toner cartridge, the cyan, and magenta toner cartridges that had been installed as new and did a hard restart of the printer. I then reinstalled the old yellow (70% remaining), cyan, black and magenta toner cartridges one at a time. The printer began working again with the old toner cartridges reinstalled. I then removed all the old toner cartridges and reinstalled the replacement toner cartridges one a time. The last toner cartridge to be reinstalled, magenta, caused the stuck in initializing issue again. I then removed this toner cartridge, did a hard restart, and reinstalled the old magenta toner cartridge and the initializing issue went away, again. I am now waiting on a new hp magenta cartridge to be shipped to me to the replace the old magenta toner cartridge. When that is installed and the printer works without stuck in initializing error then I will consider it a mission accomplished. So it looks like the cause of this issue is a deffective magenta toner cartridge.

HP Recommended

@Speedbump55

Glad to have you back.

I'm glad that the issue is fixed. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis. Kudos to you for that. 

Happy printing! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.