Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung Chromebook
Chrome OS

I want to print from a Chromebook to a P1006 LaserJet . The answers in the forums do not apply now that Google Cloud Print has been withdrawn. When the printer is connected to the Chromebook by USB cable, the printer is recognized but it cannot be configured. Is there anyway to print to this printer, either directly or via a shared network with a Windows computer?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Alcophile

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Open the item you want to print.

2. Click the Chrome browser Settings icon , and then select Print.

Clicking the Chrome settings icon, and then selecting Print

3. Next to Destination, click Change, and then select your printer.

Select your printer from Destinations

4. Change any desired print settings, and then click Print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. The problem I am having is that the P1006 printer cannot be configured properly. When the printer is connected with the USB cable to the Chromebook, it is detected but the setup for the printer cannot be completed. The P1006 printer is not listed as an option in the configuration menu. I can select a generic HP LaserJet but that does not result in printing. I can select various generic Postscript printers (PCL 3, PCL 4, etc.) but these also do not lead to success.

I realize the printer is old and not WiFi-capable, but is there a configuration from a similar printer that can be used for the P1006 printer? Is there a printer driver available for this printer (I can print from a Windows 10 computer)? Would one of the HP printing apps work for printing? Is there a external print server that can be used with the P1006?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Alcophile

Thank you for posting back. 

I would come to the same conclusion, the new printer will come with all new technology enabled and compatible with all latest smart devices. 
However, I did go through Software and Driver Downloads page for this printer HP LaserJet P1006 and found that only basic drivers are available.

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.