Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP 479fdw for about 1 year and a half, it worked fine until now but today I got an error when I turned it on: "there is an error communicating with the Cyan cartridge..." and the event code is 10.01.11.

All the cartridges are at least 90% full including the Cyan one and now I'm unable to print any document.

I wouldn't want to replace my cartridge which is almost full since it is expensive and it appears that the problem may arise again at anytime from what I read in other posts regarding this same error.

I tried the diagnostics from the HP Smart application and got the attached screenshot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Supply Memory Error on Cartridge.png

-Noël
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @noeld,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try these solutions here 10.wx.yz error messages and also follow the links.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andreas

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks”!

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Hello @Andr-1611,

Thanks for your reply.

I've already tried to remove and reinstall the cartridge. I looked at its electronic chip: it is visible and look the same as the other cartridges; I cannot see anything wrong with it.

-Noël

-Noël
HP Recommended

Hi Noël,

then follow the links, recommended action.

Regards
Andreas

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Thanks Andreas.

I will try to contact the HP support. Unfortunately my printer isn't in warranty anymore for 2 months or so.

Regards,

-Noël

-Noël
HP Recommended

Warranty on supplies is different than the warranty on the machine itself and cartridge warranties are valid till cartridge shows low. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this useful and interesting piece of information regarding warranty on cartridges.

-Noël
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem, and I can't print anything, printer is complaining about the Cyan cartridge:

"The indicated supplies are not communicating correctly with the printer. Try reinstalling the supply to continue. Event Code: 10.01.11"

Here are my details:

Model: Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdn

Purchased brand new for over $500

Original warranty: 12 months

Red Cartridge: 100% full

Yellow Cartridge: 100% full

Cyan Cartridge: 100% full

Black Cartridge: 70% remaining

I have only used genuine HP cartridges in this printer

Printer has been sitting on my desk since I bought it, never dropped, never moved, and lightly used (home use, mostly documents no color). Was printing fine on Feb 22, and the next day starting showing the error message.

I tried the following:

1. Remove and re-insert the Cyan cartridge

2. Power on and off

3. Unplug and re-plug the printer

4. Tried to upgrade firmware (it failed)

5. Tried to upgrade firmware via USB (it failed)

6. Replace Cyan cartridge with an older one I had

7. Reset printer to default factory settings

8. Spend 1.5 hours with HP Support via chat

Now I'm stuck with $500 printer that doesn't work and has $630 worth of cartridges.

Anything else I should try?

HP Recommended

Hello k2019 and everyone,

I called HP support yesterday and I've been about 1 hour on the phone. All the tests that I was asked to do did fail.

I was told though that cartridges have to be installed when the printer is powered on but I could not find that statement in the User Manual (PDF). I probably installed them before powering on the printer for the first time but the cartridges worked for 14 months before the error popped up.

HP will have a technician come to my house to replace an electronic card inside the printer. The appointement was planned for tomorrow (Friday 26) but HP support called me back this morning to let me know that the cards are out of stock and the appointment won't be before March 5.

-Noël
HP Recommended

Thanks for the update Noeld. Please let us know if the replacement card fixes the problem.

I'm scheduled to bring my printer to the service center on March 11th (that's the earliest appointment I could get).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.