Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro M281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to replace a toner with bad print quality.  I have tried three different toners and I always get a 'supply problem'.  My original cartridge does work.  My existing toners are all generics, as are the ones I'm attempting to use as replacements.

This printer is about to go in the garbage I am so frustrated, not to mention throwing all this money into toner cartridges

Please, for the love of all that is good - HELP!!

Tracy

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Look at the drum of the toners, there could be the issue.

About the supply error, it is somehow normal, due they are not original. 

Have you tried to use the quality tools navigating trought the printer's menu?

I seriously advise you to check up the public document. 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-multifunction-printer-series/14...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Donna.  I actually solved this by taking the chip off my existing toner and putting on the replacement toner.  Apparently this machine is EXTREMELY picky as I seriously tried a 4 pc whole set plus two additional black toners and all of them gave me the supply problem error.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear you're having print quality issues. What exactly are the issues? Sometimes changing some printer settings can help with some issues.

Many of my customers use generic/3rd party toners and they typically work OK for awhile, but sometimes they get bad ones, and they usually don't last near as long as true HP cartridges. I know they're cheaper, but remember you get what you pay for most of the time. It also depends a lot on the cartridge manufacturer as to how good they are. Some are better than others. Please don't blame the printer for low/bad quality cartridges. If the cartridges are bad/defective, contact the supplier/manufacturer where you purchased them from for warranty replacements.

HP Recommended

So good to read you found a solution! 😄

HP Recommended

I just read you last entry. It sounds like you were getting a Supply Memory Error message. That is due to that little memory chip on the cartridges that isn't always programmed correctly or compatible. Moving it to another cartridge will work temporarily, but it keeps track of how much toner is used and will eventually say you're out of toner even if you put it on a new cartridge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.