Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw
macOS 10.12 Sierra
I've tried printing black/white from my Mac (Sierra) and from a Windows 10 PC. Neither one offers an option to print in black and white.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SooBee1

Thanks for replying!

ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SooBee1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I believe we can enable Black&White printing from the print dialogue window. Here is how to do it:

1.) Open the document or photo you want to print, click File, click Print, and then click Show Details, if necessary.

2.) Select Black & White on the main dialog.

Select Black & White in the print dialog

3.) Click Print.

If in case the Black & White option is not available, then try the following steps to enable Black ink only printing:

1.) Open the document you want to print, click File, click Print, and then click Show Details, if necessary.

2.) Click the unnamed print options menu at the separator bar to display more settings options.

3.) Select Paper Type/Quality.

4.) Click Color Options.

5.) Select Grayscale, then select Black Ink only.

6.) Click Print.

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your efforts to help me. It appears I have a different dialog box from yours and it doesn't include the options you suggested. But in digging into the options that I do have, I found this and am wondering if changing one of these will do the trick?

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 8.44.39 AM.png

FYI, I just installed this printer this week so I wonder if, when it downloaded the printer drivers, perhaps it got the wrong drivers? or not the latest or something along those lines?

HP Recommended

@SooBee1

Thanks for replying!

ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer firmware update seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

@SooBee1

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.