Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdn
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am unable to print web pages or accounts received on line or attachments to emails even if they are just word documents. I have an MFP M426fdn which is about 6 weeks old.

Yesterday I spent a large amount of the day on the telephone or on line with HP.

I contacted the distributor from whom I purchased the printer but they were unable to help me because they said it would void the warranty and only HP could help me.

All HP could tell me to do was download a new driver which I have done (twice).

I have also tried disconnecting the printer from the power.

This morning I switched on, reconnected the printer, downloaded the up to date driver and still the problen isn't fixed.

HP can't help and the distributor won't help.

Don't know what else I can try.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

After many hours (over 3 days) either on the telephone to HP or online I finally found a solution to my problem (without the help of HP Support whose only contribution over the 3 days was to tell me to download a new driver). I use Apple and Apple has a default (fake) driver. After the system with the new printer was set up for some reason both computers defaulted to the fake driver which was not allowing me to print any page on which there was an image.

I deleted the printer and then readded it but made sure that the default driver was not selected and now I have no trouble printing.

No thanks to HP who (although from the comments on this forum this is not an unusual problem) had no idea what could be the solution.

HP Recommended

Where did you get the driver?  I have the same issue.  its rather ridiculous.  If I go to HP's site, it just has me install the HP Easy Start. CAn't seem to find the standalone driver file.

HP Recommended

For posterity, I am using a 477fdw which stopped working with MacOS Sierra, I believe and I was able to fix this error with the following steps.

1. Go to System preferences then printers & scanners.

2. Right click (i.e. control click if using one button mouse/pad) on the printer list on the left and select "Reset Printing system"

3. Click Reset

4. Enter password if asked.

5. Click on the small + sign to add a printer

6. Select the printer of interest from the list (must be plugged in or on net). 

7. This is the important part: In the "Use" drop down menu select "Generic postscript printer" rather than the default. 

8. Click "Add". 

That's what worked for me. If "Generic postscript printer" doesn't work for you there's a few more options that I would recommend trying.

HP Recommended

OH MY GOSH!  Thank you so much for this.  I reset and re-added my printer using the "Generic postscript printer" option and I was able to print my husband's card WITHOUT the printer telling me the file was corrupt.  I had tried EVERYTHING.  Thank you again.  I really appreciate being freed from THAT frustration.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!!!!!  So far this has worked when NOTHING else would!!!

HP Recommended

Unbelievable. No other solutions worked, THIS DID. Well done

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly after every attempt failed...Thanks a lot for being helpful

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing, These easy steps solved the printing problem - MACPRO ; MFP M 477fdw  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.