Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Having the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same printer! Using brand new, certified HP toner cartridges (HP security sticker in place) purchased through Home Depot and getting "Used Supply" messages, which prevent us from seeing toner levels, etc. Did you ever find a resolution?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, have you tried flashing firmware to the machine? Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts inside the machine that go to the chip on the toner?

HP Recommended

Yes. Firmware is updated to version 07.250.2. And, yes, I have cleaned the contacts inside the machine.

For the record, I just replaced the toner cartridge this week, with an authentic HP toner (with seal). The previous cartridge worked fine (i.e. no "Used Supply" messages) and behaved appropriately. The toner cartridge before that (which was also an authentic HP cartridge) was read by the printer as "Used." So, it seems to be completely hit or miss.

HP Recommended

Yes, sounds like that the toners from HP, at least for that model, are coming out defective. If you got the toner cartridge recently from HP, I would try to get a hold of them and see if they will replace it for you.

HP Recommended
How do you purchased through home depot? Are they shipping it from their warehouse or they representing some other dealer?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Sorry. Typing error. I purchased the toner cartridge from Office Depot.

HP Recommended

If you got it from Office Depot, I would try returning it, have them exchange it to see if that makes a difference, or if you get the error again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  I could exchange it at Office Depot, and there's a chance the new one would not display the "used supply" message. But, then again, there's a chance it would. Herein lies the fundamental problem; it's completely hit or miss. HP is shipping these toner cartridges to retailers as new, genuine HP cartridges; they are sealed in authentic HP packaging and certified with "genuine HP" stickers. So, when I open up a brand-new, sealed, genuine HP cartridge and install it in my HP printer, I expect the printer to recogonize it as a new, genuine HP cartridge! Every time! There should NEVER be any issues! And yet, 2 out of 3 of the "genuine HP" cartridges I've installed have been read by the printer as "used supply." I've paid over $200 each for these "genune HP" cartridges, and I feel completely duped. I could have purchased generic replacement cartridges for about 33% less.

HP Recommended
It looks like this post was moved from another thread since it was a new subject, and therefore a model number of the printer we're discussing is not listed anywhere in the post, please list it.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.