Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using my Laserjet 4 for many, many years and its still working. I still have a couple of cartridges to use.

I can't seem to print from my Windows 10 laptop to this printer.

I understand the driver may no longer be available.

Looking for a fix for someone with low to medium technical computer knowledge.

Thx.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@GStew 

Hello,

Your printer does not have drivers for Windows 10, try the following solution:

1. Turn on your printer and connect the USB cable.
  2. In the Control Panel, under Hardware and Audio. Click View Devices and Printers. The Devices and Printers window opens.
  3. Click Add Printer. The Add Printer window opens.
  4. Click Add Local Printer.
  5. Click Use an Existing Port.
  6. Click the Use Existing Port drop-down list and select DOT4_001, then click Next.
  7. Click Windows Update.
  8. Under Manufacturer in the Install Printer Driver window, click HP.
  9. Under Printers, select HP LaserJet 1020, then click Next.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  11. In the Devices and Printers window, right-click the HP LaserJet 1020 printer name, and then click Printer Properties.
  12. In the General tab, and in the Printer name field, type HP LaserJet 4, then click OK.
  13. Try to print.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

I don't see this port you describe below. The HP4 has a USB cable to be connected to my Windows 10 laptop.

"Click the Use Existing Port drop-down list and select DOT4_001, then click Next."

The printer is saying "W2 Invalid  PE S".

Not sure what that means.

thx.

HP Recommended

What physical connection are you using? A USB to parallel adapter? I would suggest a parallel to network adapter is a more useable choice, often referred as a print server. You should be able to connect and use a driver of a LaserJet 4000. The USB adapter has never been my favorite as they are finicky. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi, yes, the cable is a parallel at one end which plugs into the HP Laserjet 4, USB at the other end which plugs into laptop. I've used this cable for years on my Windows 7 laptop with no issues. 

HP Recommended

I installed the HP Laserjet 4000...printed a test page and was excited for a second....pages and pages kept printing. Same when I tried to print one page from Word...it kept printing with a few mixed up fonts on many pages.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have not had any success installing the HP 4 yet.

If the HP4 works on the old computer, can I simply copy the driver from the old computer to the new computer? If yes, how do I locate the folder on the old computer? Once I've copied the folder to the new computer, what procedures would I follow from there to install the driver? Thank you.

HP Recommended

@GStew 

Hello and thank for your return,

I wish to apologize for my late response.

Try the following solution:

1. Download then extract this driver (example with WinRAR or 7Zip)
  2. In the Control Panel, under Hardware and Audio. Click View Devices and Printers. The Devices and Printers window opens.
  3. Click Add a Printer. The Add Printer window opens.
  4. Click The printer you want is not listed.
  5. Select Add a local or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
  6. Click Use Existing Port.
  7. Click on the Use Existing Port drop-down list and select DOT4_001 or USB001 and click Next.
  8. Click on Provided Disk, then go to C:\Users\(your username)\Downloads\4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2ca653c869f1c02f6f7 twice click on prnhp001.Inf.
  9. Under Printers, in the Install Printer Driver window, select HP LaserJet 4L and then click Next.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  11. In the Devices and Printers window, right-click the HP LaserJet 4L printer name, and then click Printer Properties.
  12. On the General tab, and in the Printer name field, type HP LaserJet 4 and click OK.
  13. Try to print.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Add new printer use connected port USB001 (or USB002 ...003....) and use HP UPD driver PCL5.

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/PRINTER/HP/HP-Universal-Print-Driver-PCL5-61020062-64-bit.shtml

HP Recommended

Thank you and all contributors for your comments.

The printer works after downloading a driver called hp laserjet 4 pcl 5e driver from support.hp.com/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-4-4m-printer-series/25487

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.