Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M476DW
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, Having problems with vertical lines on pages when printing/copying using my HP Color LaserJet MFP M476DW printer.

This has nothing to do with a dirty ADF Top scanner glass issue.

The printer is at least 5 years old.

Have had this issue for a few months now and slowly getting worse.  So, time to deal with it.

Printer cartridges are basically new and their cartridge wheels have been cleaned for lines and specs. (Helped a little bit)

But, still have spots in certain places (mid page mostly), both black and color, that still continue.

Have cleaned the glass well and checked for any remaining specs.

I'm thinking this is probably an ink transfer problem at this point.

I can't seem to find a link to ink transfer roller for this model printer in the HP KB.

Maybe a link to part number and cost as well.

Thanks, in advance,

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If the cartridges appear good then likely the issue is the transfer belt, which can be replaced but does require some disassembly of the machine.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Ok, update:   Printer is 6 years old and only 44K pages on the transfer roller.

I looked at the ink cartridges and see that there are lines on the red and blue.

I lightly cleaned the ink cartridge wheel there best I could.

Took out the ink transfer roller and ink lines were all over that.  In the middle and on both edges.

So thoroughly cleaned the transfer roller with alcohol.

Inspected it for any other damage and it is fine.

Cleaned the rest of the printer inside.  Only needed a bit of it.

On the transfer roller, it has an ink cleaning brush at the top of it.  I took it apart and cleaned it well as well.

Put it all back together, ran paper quality test and calibration.

The lines were better, but still noticeably there.

So, replaced the red cartridge and did above again and ran test.

The red lines were gone.

So, we resolve that the issue is from third party cartridges I guess.

I looked at the ink cartridge again and could not see any other way to better clean the ink cartridge.  Guess they are a loss.

Problem understood for now.

Note:  Is there any other toner collection unit device, besides the part at the top of the transfer roller that I cleaned that I should look at as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.