Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

When I use my Laserjet Pro M102w daily, everything goes well.

But when I do not use it for a couple of days, it does not react anymore on a printing command.

In this case, Wifi network does not see the printer anymore.

In the printer config report, the last used IP address is stil visible.

I need to use WPS to get it working again, it then gets the same IP address.

I also have a HP color laserjet, it always works without problems, it is in the same Wifi network.

Who knows how to solve this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The  HP Laserjet M102 does not have a "Wake on LAN" feature.  That means that once the printer goes to sleep, you need to press the power button or send a job over USB cable to wake it up.  Once the printer wakes up and talks to the network you can resume printing again.

There are a few options:

- Disable sleep mode on the printer at the expense of the energy conservation features/sleep mode

- Switch from network to USB

- Build a habit of pressing the power button on the printer to wake it up a few minutes before you need it

Otherwise you need to invest in a more expensive model that offers the "Wake on LAN" feature.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your clear reply.

If I had known this, I would have chosen another model. Very unclear.

I tried to disable the sleep mode, but I do not see how to get this done.

On the printers web page I find System/Energy settings.

I can choose between 2, 4 or 8 hours to go to sleep. But no way to switch it off. 

I would expect something like "never".

Please advise

HP Recommended

I found a simple method to eliminate the problem: I attached it by USB cable to an Airport Express.

HP Recommended

Good idea, i always forget we can convert a USB printer installation into a network installation by sharing through devices like that.

Glad to hear you found a way to make it work for your scenario.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.