Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M1132 MFP
Windows 8.1

I install my printer. When i restart my pc or turn off my printer windows recognize it like a cd drive. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Magichoom ,

I see by your post Windows is recognizing the printer as a CD drive. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Follow these steps to disable the Smart Install for the printer. Select printer not PC.

Press the Windows key and the X key together. and select File Explorer, right click the CD for the

printer and left click open in new window, go to util/siutility.exe/HP smart install utility.
Shows printer or PC - select printer.
Then click disable.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Magichoom ,

I see by your post Windows is recognizing the printer as a CD drive. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Follow these steps to disable the Smart Install for the printer. Select printer not PC.

Press the Windows key and the X key together. and select File Explorer, right click the CD for the

printer and left click open in new window, go to util/siutility.exe/HP smart install utility.
Shows printer or PC - select printer.
Then click disable.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

"select File Explorer, right click the CD for the

printer and left click open in new window".

Cannot proceed.  Says "H:\ is not accessible.  Access is denied."  Also tried downloading the HP Color LaserJet Pro M177fw Install Software from the HP support pages.  At 100% is errors and says it took too long.

What do I do next?

HP Recommended

Greetings!!@JayGS

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, thank you for posting your query.I read your post I see that Windows Recognizes printer as a CD drive.

I'd love to help you out, however, I need a few details to provide an accurate solution.

Which Operating system do you have and the version?

Please get back to us for further assistance, cheers.

Have a nice day and happy holidays ahead.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows 8.1

HP Recommended

@JayGS

Thanks for replying with the information.

Let's try to uninstall the software and reinstall it by following this method.

Step1 :

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer.

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step 2: 

Click here to install the full -featured software: Click here

Let me know if this resolves the issue, cheers 🙂

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried these steps but it will not permit me to remove the driver as it indictes it is already in use, even though I have remvoed the device. Cannot seem to remove the CD drive at all.

HP Recommended

Works with me too.. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.