Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP1102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP1102w printer direct wired to my laptop. Yesterday when I got to work the power was off due to outage. After an hour the power came on and I fired up my laptop. Later that day I went to print a receipt and I received an error saying to install black ink. The cartridge is new and has less than 50 sheets printed off it. I pulled the cartridge out shook it and reinstalled. Same error. I've unplugged it , did a software update and even went through on the HP print and scan Doctor several times. It wont print and has an orange blinking light on printer below the wifi button.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Derrick6986

Welcome to HP support community.

Clean the electric contacts on the toner cartridge

1. Open the toner cartridge access door.

2. Remove the toner cartridge from its slot.

3. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe the toner cartridge contact (E-label) on the top left of the toner cartridge.

NOTE: 

Coffee filters work well.

Figure : E-label on a toner cartridge

Toner cartridge contact (E-label)
  4. Insert the toner cartridge into its slot, and then close the toner cartridge access door.

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Going thru the motions listed did not solve my issue. The ink cartridge is a genuine HP and has less than 50 on it. I would hate to have to pay another $80 for a new one when this was fine until the power went off.

HP Recommended

@Derrick6986

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.