Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Have you been able to resolve it? If so, please share.

HP Recommended

I have had the same issue with twp P1102 and the USB and have tryied it on 3 Win 7 Pro computers and lot of USB ports with on sussses at all.

If you go into device manager it says is a storage device not a printer

HP Recommended

Similar problem here.  I can print via the USB cable, but cannot set up the printer as wireless.  The install dialog box asks me to connect the USB  cable.  When I do so, I hear the Windows 7 sound for a recognized USB device, but the installation hangs waiting for me to connect the already connected cable. 

HP Recommended

I found that I had the same problem, printer install normally over USB, fails wireless install with a 'waiting for you to connect the USB' dialog.  After much troubleshooting (cords, three different computers, two different OS', two different printers), I decided to see if I could manually force the printer into submission.

While using a MAC with the printer connected via USB, I opened its utility page.  From this page, I found tabs for networking and eventually Wireless.  Once you get to this point you can chose your specific WiFi security settings and load them into the printer.  I power cycled the printer and after several seconds got a steady blue light.

I deleted the original USB configured printer off my Mac and then added a new wireless configuration based on the now visible P1102W.

Hey - its not like I had anything to do this weekend, thanks HP!

HP Recommended

There is a bug in the installation. The Help line resolved it by doing the following:

- reinstall the software from the CD BEFORE your connect the USB.

- when the instructions asks to connect the USB, then connect.

- if the message "waiting for you to connect" continues, go to Control Panel, Device Manager, and UNINSTALL the P1102w driver. It then uninstalls and REINSTALLS the driver.

It should now work.

HP Recommended

No 

I have given up haveing speant hours trying to resolve this.  Its the first HP printer I have every have an issue with.

HP Recommended

I have similar problem. I am working on notebook Acer ZenBook. It has 3 slots USB 3. HP print and scan doctor finds and shows the device in the list, but the printer driver installation program continuously is looking for a device and finds nothing. I am canceling the process and retry on different USB slots.

At the list of printers on computer there is nothing installed, the USBs are working with scanner with no any problem, replacement of the USBs did not changed the result. It is really frustrating. At the same time a bunch of useless HP software was installed. Everything but the driver :).

The situation is repeating - coulple of months ago it was on Windows 7, now the same problem is on Windows 10. The drivers were downloaded today, the supporting information on the HP site is misguided and not updated.

I start to doubt if a customer shall receive quality services and profesionalism from the staff of such big company.

I am curious what shall be the answer/solution if any.

HP Recommended

I was having the same exact issue it seems a lot of other people are having with installing these P1102w printers on windows 7 machines. Here's how I solved the issue:

First off, it's not a USB/hardware issue. When I install these laserjets on employee machines I don't even plug them in until after I put the installation disc in (or download it) and go through the setup, and I was getting the error "Failed to install, no new printer was installed" during the software installation without the printer even being connected via USB yet. Anyway, you don't even need the installation disc so I wouldn't even put it in. When I connected the printer, the PC recognizes it and then ultimately says "could not be installed" or whatever. Go to Start > Devices and Printers. You will see it in there, not as a normally installed printer, but as a sort of "uknown device" type icon with a yellow, exclamation point on it. Right click on it, go to properties, in the properties window click the Hardware tab. You will see 3-4 options and one should have a yellow exclamatin point to the right of it, I think it was called "P1100 USB EWS driver" click on it and then click properties. In that window click the Driver tab then click Update Driver. Windows automatically installed  this driver after a few minutes, so I closed the two properties winows, and then back at the Devices & Printers screen, the printer still wasn't installed, but I right-clicked and clicked Troubleshoot at which point the driver was installed from automatic updates after a few minutes (something that had failed multiple times before updating that EWS driver. But if I had to guess, after updating the EWS driver the printer driver/software that failed to install from the disc probably would have worked as well although I didn't try it I just got it through the troubleshoot/windows update method.

I have no idea if this will work for others, but if you try it please let us know what the outcome is... thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,
I think I did it on Win 10 64 bit.

1. I made new account with admin rights

2. Remove all prevouis driver.

3. I downloaded Win 7 64 bit driver from HP support

4. Run the installer

5. Find un-zip folder od local disk, probably c:\LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution

6. Copy folder from c:\ to d:\ or c:\user\...\     somewhere where You can run it without problem

7. Change properites of HpSetup.exe to "Run as admin" and compability with Windows 7

8. Cancel the installer

9. Run HpSetup.exe

10. Go with wizzard

11. You can have some errors during installation, don't bother

12. Restart PC
13. Printer should work

Good luck 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.